Remember me
Lost Password Register

Just completed DM.
08-25-2004, 09:01 PM,
Re:Just completed DM.
MAtt,
that is one of my biggest gripes about some of the PADI training.. 60 dives to be a dive master, and 100 dives to become an instuctor. I personally held off on the advancement until i had more dives than what was required...
08-26-2004, 10:59 AM,

Dean,
Be careful what you say, you might actually agree with a lot of the things GUE stresses in their training. Wink

Chris
08-26-2004, 11:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2004, 11:54 AM by NEHDAD.)
I just finished my DM training as well and I have to say that I too was disappointed in the new standards PADI has set for the DM Program. I was shocked when I called the PADI educational office and found out that not only have they lowered the standards but also do not require the DM packet to be sent to them anymore. All they need is a signed sheet of completion and a check or credit card number.

I questioned them as to why they would do this and the response I received was it us up to the Instructors to determine who qualifies for the program (Not everyone should be allowed into the program nor allowed to complete). The instructor then must take responsibility for the quality of training and the candidates accepted into the program.

You have to admit that it leaves allot of room for dishonesty and greed with these new standards. I can only be thankful that the shops I went though did not allow this to happen and consider there DM as professionals not just extra revenue.
09-04-2004, 10:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2004, 10:41 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)

It's hard to beleive they accept DM's in the program with only 20 dives, I think at 60 you can start your Instructor Development Course :-\

I'm curious how long it took everyone to complete divemaster-- It took me about a year, but I thought this was way too long. I hear from other LDS's that their programs usually are 2-6 months. I realise that much of it is up to the student, but I had the feeling my instructor was dragging it out a little and would not allow me to DM extra classes to get it done sooner (why? I have a nice big suburban that can haul tanks and gear for 30 divers).

So how long was your DM?
09-04-2004, 01:58 PM,
Abouit 7 weeks
09-04-2004, 04:01 PM,
I think it was eight weeks.
--Jason
09-24-2004, 08:31 PM,
Congrats to everyone completing DM (especially you Dad! :-*)