wiscuba.com

Full Version: Just completed DM.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It was fun and I learned a lot. Now where do I go for the big bucks? ??? Wink
congrats!!

i can't wait to finish it and i just signed up for it yesterday.
thanks and good luck with yours

Omicron

Congrats...I'm still waiting for my LDS to get our class going full swing...

And you know what they say about how to make a million in the dive industry, right? Start with two million. ;D
I'm curious about why you chose to do the class. Do you plan to go on with further education and eventually teach full or part time? I have always thought about doing the D.M. certification, but don't have any real motivation other than that I like to dive and maybe it seems like the next step. I don't want to teach or baby sit, so I can't talk my self into doing it for what I consider the "right" reasons. Tell me why YOU did it.
I did divemaster because when I first got certified I made it a personal goal.

I enjoyed some of the educational aspects such as studying physiology and physics. I enjoyed some of the buddy skill work. I had a good time at the mapping project and helping out with a few OW classes.

I hate diving in swimming pools. The padi videos and knowledge reviews were painful at times.

I think the DM class helped build my confidence as a diver and convinced me that I don't want to be an instructor.

I don't recommend starting the class with less than 100 dives. Some people in my class only had 30 dives and they were preoccupied with equipment and bouyancy issues.
It sounds like you learned something about yourself anyway, whether you "use" what you learned in the class or not. I can see how it might be a confidence builder. Is it me or does it seem that the certification agencies (at least PADI) push (try to sell) all their classes hard right from the start? I know most people are excited with the new interest they've found and want to learn more, but going into a Dive "Master" class with 30 dives? Like you said most people with 30 dives are still having problems with buoyancy control, weighting, proper breathing, etc. I "think" there is a minimum of 100(?) dives before getting the certification. Doesn't sound like there is a minimum before starting the class though.
My reasons are these: Partly because I have summers off now, I was thinking of becoming an instructor, (but now I also am giving that more thought). I guess this keeps my options for that open and am that much closer if I decide to do it. Another reason I did DM is because I spend so much time at the dive shop and have frequently been asked to help with classes, especially part 2. Now I can. It certainly did build my confidence as a diver and I'm sure it made me a better buddy.

I started the program with more than 270 logged dives. Incidentally, you need at least 60 to be a DM.

Amen to that. Unfortunately I think that leads to a higher drop-out rate. Anyone know what the dropout rate is for DM? I would guess 30-50% never complete it.

Thanks for the replies. Glad you guys enjoyed your classes and maybe I will give it some more thought.

Matt
Pages: 1 2