wiscuba.com
Just completed DM. - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Just completed DM. (/showthread.php?tid=418)

Pages: 1 2

Just completed DM. - MikeS - 08-24-2004

It was fun and I learned a lot. Now where do I go for the big bucks? ??? Wink

Re:Just completed DM. - JacobsonC2 - 08-24-2004

congrats!!

i can't wait to finish it and i just signed up for it yesterday.

Re:Just completed DM. - MikeS - 08-24-2004

thanks and good luck with yours

Re:Just completed DM. - Omicron - 08-24-2004

Congrats...I'm still waiting for my LDS to get our class going full swing...

And you know what they say about how to make a million in the dive industry, right? Start with two million. ;D

Re:Just completed DM. - matt t. - 08-24-2004

I'm curious about why you chose to do the class. Do you plan to go on with further education and eventually teach full or part time? I have always thought about doing the D.M. certification, but don't have any real motivation other than that I like to dive and maybe it seems like the next step. I don't want to teach or baby sit, so I can't talk my self into doing it for what I consider the "right" reasons. Tell me why YOU did it.

Re:Just completed DM. - jasondbaker - 08-24-2004

I did divemaster because when I first got certified I made it a personal goal.

I enjoyed some of the educational aspects such as studying physiology and physics. I enjoyed some of the buddy skill work. I had a good time at the mapping project and helping out with a few OW classes.

I hate diving in swimming pools. The padi videos and knowledge reviews were painful at times.

I think the DM class helped build my confidence as a diver and convinced me that I don't want to be an instructor.

I don't recommend starting the class with less than 100 dives. Some people in my class only had 30 dives and they were preoccupied with equipment and bouyancy issues.

Re:Just completed DM. - matt t. - 08-25-2004

It sounds like you learned something about yourself anyway, whether you "use" what you learned in the class or not. I can see how it might be a confidence builder. Is it me or does it seem that the certification agencies (at least PADI) push (try to sell) all their classes hard right from the start? I know most people are excited with the new interest they've found and want to learn more, but going into a Dive "Master" class with 30 dives? Like you said most people with 30 dives are still having problems with buoyancy control, weighting, proper breathing, etc. I "think" there is a minimum of 100(?) dives before getting the certification. Doesn't sound like there is a minimum before starting the class though.

Re:Just completed DM. - MikeS - 08-25-2004

My reasons are these: Partly because I have summers off now, I was thinking of becoming an instructor, (but now I also am giving that more thought). I guess this keeps my options for that open and am that much closer if I decide to do it. Another reason I did DM is because I spend so much time at the dive shop and have frequently been asked to help with classes, especially part 2. Now I can. It certainly did build my confidence as a diver and I'm sure it made me a better buddy.

I started the program with more than 270 logged dives. Incidentally, you need at least 60 to be a DM.

Re:Just completed DM. - jasondbaker - 08-25-2004

Amen to that. Unfortunately I think that leads to a higher drop-out rate. Anyone know what the dropout rate is for DM? I would guess 30-50% never complete it.

Re:Just completed DM. - matt t. - 08-25-2004

Thanks for the replies. Glad you guys enjoyed your classes and maybe I will give it some more thought.

Matt