Remember me
Lost Password Register

List of "local" dive sites?
03-28-2006, 04:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2006, 08:12 PM by matt t..)
Re: List of "local" dive sites?
Nagawicka dive access is right off of the beach. There is a pretty steep drop off to about 40 feet. We usually tie off the flag on a log or something and head north or south. No chance of a boat hitting you @40 feet. Visibility is usually o.k. Lots of Zebra mussels (not to be mistaken with their larger than thumbnail sized cousin the
"Quaga" (sp?) ;D) Anyway, try it, you may like it. Lannon has been getting worse by the year. Every year I still head over there hoping to find some improvement, but am always let down. I would also recommend Red Granite. Visibility is hit or miss, but the red necks are funny Wink.
03-28-2006, 06:16 PM,
matt pretty much summed it up....if you are an experienced diver..dont fret the big lake..there are a ton of people diving wet on the wrecks...its chilly...but  not shockingly chilly....do try the shore dives.....appomatox is a PITA of a staircase..sebastipol..not so bad but less to see....there are plenty of shallow dives in michigan.as well..less than 60 ft/.....gl
deano
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM,
An other Lake Michigan Shore Dive;

Volunteer-Bay View

She's about a 1/4 mile south of the Sebastapol in about 10'-15' of water. There is some wreckage on the outside of the wall as well. She can be seen from the surface. Park in front of the "Cousin's Center" and hike down the hill to start your swim out- about 3/4 of the way to the break wall.

She's a longer swim than the Sebastapol, but she's also about 4 times as long and at least 2-3 times as wide.
         Rik O+<

03-30-2006, 03:15 PM,

That sounds like fun!  We have a huge dive float and flag because boats make my husband pretty nervous, I'll have to find out if Sundays are really boat free.  That would be nice!
The only good diver is a wet diver.
03-30-2006, 03:18 PM,

We aren't dry suit certifiied yet nor have we dove in Lake Michigan yet.  I always get so cold so dry suit would probably be the way I'd have to go.  Going to try some farm johns over our 7mm suits this  year and see how cold I get.  I have to do something because I've lost patience waiting for warm weather.  I wanna dive now! lol  Just got back from a week in Cozumel in early March and now the dive bug is hitting me hard.
03-30-2006, 03:24 PM,
Thanks for all the good suggestions!  I'm dying to try out Elkhart Lake now and some MI shore dives.  Anyone done any diving in the lakes out by Madison?
03-30-2006, 03:29 PM,
I dove Mendota a couple times in early spring.  The Four Lakes club sponsors a dive for DAN.  The "Habitat" is an interesting dive and also has a couple antique cars.  Visibility can be good early in the spring but turns bad quickly.  I'm sure you'll get other replies to this one by some more knowledgeable than I.
03-31-2006, 02:16 PM,
Over by the appomatax is the wreck of the Josaphine as well- often a god one to hit on th swim back in as she's only in 10' of water right off the steel pier- caught a nude sunbather by accident on the opposite side of that peir once.  ;D

There's what's left of the Sebastopol, just north of the Volunteer on the south side.

I used to dive South Shore yacht club in the winter time when I lived in Milwaukee. Mc Kinley marina was alos another nice dive. If you can get out ona calm day a really nice dive is to hike out to the end of the Government pier and do a giant stride off the end. this way you can swim back to shore looking for lots of lost junk and just climb out by your car when your done. we uses to throw are fins up and climb up the orange ladders, but you can exit through the little cove as well.

Take a look at the Lakesat.org website for clear lakes in the area. Moose lake has some sort of access and used to be one of the most dived lakes aorund- before Hasslingers sold out to teh condo developers. Beaver lake isone of my favorites- but need to freedive it or use a dive kayak to get any depth. She's a protected lake that sees very little boat traffic.

Pine lake is clear, deep, and you need a boat to dive it but is worht the effort.

Pleasant lake is a bit south west of you and is also a nice lake to dive- or spearfish in! 8)

Red Granite, and all the lakes aorund it, are always good for a day of diving.

Last time I was in Lannon, or Racine, quarry they were terrible- which is too bad because they used to be nice. :'(

This time of year Monona and Mendota are nice. I took a look at Devil's Lake last weekend, when I was skiing at Devil's Head, and she's still 3/4 forzen over. There is another lake, which is deeper over there as well- called fish lake.

There are more shore dives along lake michigan you can do- and a bunch of wrecks you can hit if you have a dive kayak- the Toledo and the Reliable come to mind

Take a look through the threrads in this section for more ideas.

Jon
03-31-2006, 04:31 PM,
oops.sorry ..i forgot about bender park in oak creek on lake michigan..
i have not dove there yet, but know of an instructor that does check out dives on the small beach side..he get to 25 or 30 feet....from what i hear..a bunch of sand and rocks....little else..but its diving
deano
03-31-2006, 04:41 PM,
An interesting place is also Geneva Lake.  No shore diving allowed, and you need to register (once in your life) with the boat patrol, but besides that...it's pretty cool.  There are two wrecks in the lake.  Dove the lake for the first time last year and found the one wreck quite easily.  Viz on the wreck was poor (4'), but then did a dive off of Black Point where the viz was much better and lots of fish by a fish crib.

Did a few shore dives last September in Door county, including a wreck that's right off shore (the Fleetwing).  Viz was pretty good on all dive sites.

Itching to get out....can't wait (even with the broken foot).

Chad