Remember me
Lost Password Register

List of "local" dive sites?
03-24-2006, 04:50 PM,
List of "local" dive sites?
Hi, is there a comprehensive list any place of local dive sites, requirements for them, etc etc?   I'm kinda bored with Devils Lake, Pearl Lake is too expensive to go very often, and Lake Wazee is quite a haul from Milwaukee, although I plan to hit that a few times this summer. 

I'm looking for anything in a 50 mile radius of Milwaukee for those "hey, lets throw everything in the car and go dive" days. Smile

The only good diver is a wet diver.
03-24-2006, 06:13 PM,
Re: List of "local" dive sites?
I don't know about a list, but Big Elkhart Lake in Elkhart Lake is a nice dive, although I haven't been there for years.  Red Granite Quarry isn't within 50 miles, but it isn't a horrible drive.  What about that lake just east of Milwaukee?  I've heard there is some good diving there.
03-25-2006, 06:31 AM,
Kind of a haul but theres alot of Good shore diving up in Door county.  You can pick up a guide at Green Bay Scuba for a couple bucks.  I have never dove it, but the Appomattox is in your back yard.
    Chris, where would one go to dive Elkhart? Specifically, entry point?  I've heard theres some good bottle diving up there.  Thanks.

Jim
03-25-2006, 01:04 PM,
You can enter Elkhart Lake through the Firemans Park.  There is a beach area you'll walk through.  Easy entry but a little walk on the bottom until you get some depth on hard sand.  Only was there once, but had enjoyable dives.
03-25-2006, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2006, 07:18 AM by Chris H.)

I've used the beach at Osthoff as well as what used to be the residents only beach entrance.  Fireman’s park works too, but I think you have to pay to use it.  When I dive from either of these locations, I just park on the street and walk with my gear down the water. 

One other word of caution; Elkhart is a resort lake with a lot of clueless boaters.  Absolutely dive with a flag, and be careful.  I believe that Sunday there is no motors allowed, so it may be a good day to dive.  There is a Police boat on the lake, and I have surface many times with the Police monitoring my flag to make sure I didn't get run over.  I always made sure to thank them when that was the case.

Jim, as far as the bottles are concerned, the lake has a ton of zebra mussels and I imagine that they will make it very difficult to find bottles unless you are digging for them.  There are a lot of fish, including some large Musky and it is usually an enjoyable dive.
03-26-2006, 08:23 AM,
See Wisconsin Maritime trails a list of dive site's Mostly Lake Michigan,

One shore dive if you can take the hike down the steps "lot's" beach off Atwater park is the Appomattox she lies in about 15'-20'FSW due east of the beach and is marked with a mooring as things warm up.
are you a dry suit diver as the lake has some of the best dives around!
And GreenBays scubas Door county shore dive list is a good one if your up for the drive,
Dive safe!
Brad
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM,
lets not forget when many of us were trained..good ol' lannon quarry...in menomonee falls....racine quarry lake park..off of 38 in racine....and nagawicka in delafield.....all have little or no fees.  viz is tough on occasion but they are all decent dive sites and have entry for divers.....oh yeah...there is the big lake...support your local dive charter... Wink..stop into a dive shop and ask around....
gl
deano
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM,
Appomattox she lies in about 15'-20'FSW due east of the beach and is marked with a mooring as things warm up.
  I've dove it a couple of time's and its better than I thought it would be.
Mostly flat timbers but its wet, easy and cheap!
    Cost: An air fill.
    Hassle: 143 steps & about a 300 - 500 yard surface swim!
  Advantage: Cost, Great little beach area. Easy access with marker buoy.
  Location: Lake Michigan, about 1 block north of Capital Drive at the Lake.
LDS; Deep Blue, 1st & Capital.
You want to Dive It!
E-mail Me - Lets Go!
No, I don't have a Dry suite!
Yes, you can dive Lake Michigan without one!
    RikO+<
03-26-2006, 07:49 PM,
I dove Lannon today.  Viz was a whole foot.  It was pretty warm though. A balmy 42 degrees.  Had a great time diving my vintage regs though.  Just got my "DA" Navy approved rebuilt and it worked great.  Also dove my 63-66 vintage Heathways two hoser.  It was smooth as silk.  Let a dive buddy use my DA aquamaster.  Got another convert to vintage diving.  That reg really suprises people.

Jim
03-27-2006, 09:07 PM,
OP's husband here - I'm looking for Lake Michigan shore dives primarily, at least once or twice before we get going with the charter guys.  I want to find out that it isn't impossibly cold _before_ I stride off a boat and do that little scream through my reg. Smile  The Appomattox sounds like a plan though - that surface swim isn't anything we aren't used to from diving Devil's Lake.

Also: Nagawicka?  Seriously?  The last few times I was out that way the boats were hauling butt all over the place, I'm not sure they'd notice our huge honkin' innertube flag.  Do you enter from the swimming beach on the east side, or is there a better place?

Sorry to hear Lannon has poor vis already - I thought it usually cleared up in the winter and only bloomed later in the season.