Remember me
Lost Password Register

Moving to Madison from California.
04-08-2004, 12:15 PM,
Re:Moving to Madison from California.
I've had some nice, deep, dives in the Canyon, but never got out there at night.

I have heard about that sub, sits in less tan 30' of water right in the surf, but heard that it was actually kind of a hazardous dive because of the wave action and the tight quarters inside of her. What was she like when you dove her?

Jon
04-08-2004, 03:27 PM,
I would have to say that I wouldn't attempt it again. When we dove it was around 1995 the calmist day and we could see it from the surface and it was tight we had to break out our single tank gear with a stage. I was using a Dive-Rite Trans pac so it wasnt bad but now i'm 25# heaver and alot smarter and safer. There was no seeing anything on the way out. The outside of it you would think its a rock reef. Lots of lobsters and rock crabs inside. The would almost fight you for the space inside. All the other times we would go back to dive it the conditions were just to bad. To many better choices that were sure things to dive.

Keith
04-08-2004, 03:48 PM,
Larry had mentioned something similar to me. He said that he squeezed his way in and thrashed around for something to grab, I think he got some type of brass key tags, to prove he was there and then got out vowing not to go in it again.

Jon
04-08-2004, 08:50 PM,
A comment on this statement:

"Dick Long has mostly retired. His daughter, Susan Long, is now President of DUI. Dick has been doing the travelling show -- you may have even seen him around here for the DUI Demo Days -- but I'm not sure if he'll even be doing that this coming year."

Dick was at the DUI days at Lake Wazee in 2001 and 2002. Missed last year because he was moving his house. My sources tell me he plans to come to Lake Wazee for DUI days this year on June 19-20, 2004. He usually puts a good talk on about diving after the dinner.

He indeed has retired.

If you look around this forum you will find some good descriptions of local dive sites that are a lot of fun. Check out Dive Locations at for some good descriptions of some of these dive sites. Check out the pictures too.

Many of the people on this forum dive every month of the year in Wisconsin. In this regard Wisconsin is just like California. The snow and ice just makes for good variety on the pictures.

Doug
04-09-2004, 03:06 PM,
Well, we're seriously off topic, but... ;-)

The submarine you're talking about is the S-37, down off Imperial Beach (south San Diego County). It's in very shallow water in close to shore. Ever since one of the major sewage spills down south of there at the Tijuana River outlet (year?), everything down there has been covered in a lot more life. I was on the S-37 a couple years ago and it was covered in a really thick layer of mussels (not unlike a Lake Michigan wreck dive I did a few years ago, where you could peel off whole chunks of zebra mussels). Wherever the way in was, you couldn't find it for all the growth. Those who've been in, even pretty hard core wreck divers, advise against it. It was pretty freakin' small. (As Keith apparently knows firsthand!)

04-09-2004, 05:43 PM,
"My sources tell me he plans to come to Lake Wazee for DUI days this year on June 19-20, 2004. He usually puts a good talk on about diving after the dinner."

Yes, he'll be there. I dropped him a note and he said that he'll be at Wazee this year. He spoke very highly of you all...