Remember me
Lost Password Register

Moving to Madison from California.
06-26-2003, 09:29 AM,
Moving to Madison from California.
Hey all I have been following this board for a little while now, and I am finally making the move to Wisconsin. I wanted to get some info on the Wisconsin dive scene. I would like to start diving as soon as I get out there, and was hoping for some good info of where to start looking for dives. Get some info on local shops, and anything else you would like to add about diving in Wisconsin. I have never dived fresh water, and am not sure if Wisconsin dives are considered altitude dives or not. Fresh water is going to be a little different for me when I am so used to having the ocean available, bu I will live!
06-26-2003, 09:48 AM,
Re:Moving to Madison from California.
Hey Justin,
Welcome aboard.
Freshwater is pretty much the same. If you've got your own gear, plan to drop some lead from your setup. If you are planning to purchase new gear, I'd look at a drysuit and winterized reg. In the great lakes and some of the quarries around here the bottom is regularly <50*f.
Be prepared for the color green. Most of the inland waters turn solid green by the middle of summer. If wrecks are your thing, there are a few charters that run out of most port cities on Lake Michigan.
The wreck diving here is very good, said to be some of the best in the world.
I don't have too much experience with the dive shops in Madison, but what little I do have is that overall, you will have a better selection of products in Milwaukee. Madison recently lost one of it's shops "The Crabby Hermit" was OOB last time I went up.
Welcome to Wisconsin, Madison is a great place to live. Smile
scubert
06-26-2003, 10:04 AM,
Madison can be fun =)

Yeah, a drysuit or a full 7-mil wetsuit will definitely extend your diving season and make it more pleasurable.

I know that Madison has a dive club, I believe it is called the Four Lakes Scuba club - I've met one of their members and they are really nice.
06-26-2003, 10:21 AM,
Crabby Hermit isn't out of business, he just moved. THe closest dive shop to Madison that I would recommend is either Three Littel Devil's in Baraboo or Underwater Connection in Delafield.

There is also a dive club in Madison, Four Lakes Scuba, that plays underwater hockey all winter long to keep in shape- they don't do much acutal diving though.

Milwaukee is only an hour, or so, away and has great wreck diving. We were out on the wreck of the Willy last night and Rodale's listed her as one of the top 20 shipwrecks in North America a few years ago. Water temp was 53 on the surface and 43 on the bottom. Vis was pretty good, over 40', before the scuba divers got on her and stirred it up- a few friends of mine and I were freediving her before they stirred everything up.

You just missed the good season for the Madison lakes. We had 25' of vis a month ago. Right now your going to be lucky to find 5'-8'. Devil's lake is about an hour north of here and is a nice lake to snorkel in- she's only about 45' and most of the good stuff is less than 30'.

Most divers who are serious about it will end up with a dry suit if they stick around here. A good wetsuit may work for most of the year, and we do freedive in them all year round. Water temps can vary depending upon where you are. When I was spearfishing in Beaver Lake last week we had 72 degree surface temps and 66 degrees at the bottom- a far cry warmer than Lkae Michigan was last night!

If your into freediving at all give me a call when you get here and I have a group of divers you can hook up with.

I hope that helps you out a bit.

Jon

06-26-2003, 10:55 AM,
Well I am used to cold water here. I usually dive in ocean water that is 50-54 degrees. Now I know there is a big difference between 45 and 50 degrees, so I may have to look into that dry suite. Right now I use a 6.5 farmer john. It was worked well for me here, but we will see how it is there. I looked at the local dive club and noticed that they did no seem to dive much. Thanks for the pointers though and I look forward to getting out there.
06-26-2003, 11:16 AM,

Huh...
There was no notice on his shop about where he moved to, I guess I assumed he folded. Do you know where he ended up?

Justin,
I definately like UW Connection. Delafield is about 50min from Madison, depending on where you are and on traffic. Colin is the main guy you'll find there, he's very nice and very helpful if you've got questions.

You can dive in a 6.5 here (I did for a couple of years) but it can make for a much shortened second dive. Sitting out on the lake, cold and wet for an hour S/I doesn't help. We used to fill our wetties with HOT water before each dive to help take the edge off. LOVE my drysuit. Best $$ I ever spent.
06-26-2003, 11:38 AM,
Is diving in Wisconsin considered altitude diving, or is it to low?
06-26-2003, 11:48 AM,
As far as I am aware, it is not considered altitude diving. I know here in central wisconsin we are only at 1100 feet (roughly).
06-26-2003, 12:15 PM,
and I believe the Milwaukee area is around 600' above sea level.
No altitude calculations here either.
06-26-2003, 12:39 PM,
The highest point in the state is less than 2000 feet so no one does altitude calculations.

Doug