Remember me
Lost Password Register

Aviation Oxygen
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM,
Re: Aviation Oxygen
Thanks Chuck.  Good info.

On a side note, but on the rebreather topic, how do you think the unfortunate passing of Gordon Smith will effect the KISS rebreather program?
01-12-2006, 09:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM by chuck_northrup.)
On Gordon Smith's passing...it is a tragic event.  I had the opportunity to meet and dive with Gordon and he was a great guy.  The KISS is a really good product.  The upcoming months will likely be confusing but I don't see the KISS going away.  Even during this difficult time the business is still open.

As long as it will get me into DIR-F I am all for it  Wink

The KISS holds (approx. 6 lbs)  this is on the end of "higher capacity" for an RB.  In other words it is a chemical hog  :Smile  Three hours is the stated duration and I would say 3 hours is a "conservative" number based on scrubber size and media.  Assuming the change of media occurs every 3 hours (according to Hoyle) a 37 lbs Keg would last 18 hours of dive time regardless of time or depth.  That equates to about $10/dive (assuming a 2 hour Mix Deco Dive).

Cleaning and disinfecting is a "sticky" subject.  When is the last time you "sanitized" the inside of your wing?  Do you take your regulator's box cover off on a regular basis and check the diaphragm, exhast valve, and mouthpiece?  Obviously there are checks and skills you need on RB that are non-issues on OC  :-\

Assuming a "squared away" OC diver can do 2 dives a day with 1 set of doubles and 2 stages...you break down and set up every day.  I will break the unit down completely after 3-4 days of diving.  I drain the lungs and spin the spit out of the hoses every other dive.  All things considered I don't think I spend "more" time maintaining my equipment I just spend it "differently."

One of the great things about diving an RB is that service is a regular thing.  The checks that you learn in the course will immediately point out a failure point.  System integrity is very important and failure usually can be tracked down to a flat O-ring or lack of lubrication  Tongue

Hope this helps,

Chuck Northrup
Going Under Dive Center
Live fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse.
01-12-2006, 09:46 PM,
Thanks for the extra time.
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM,
Thank you Chuck.    It is nice to have someone on board who has the experience to explain this stuff. 
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM,

No problem  ;D 

If you ever happen to run into me out at Wazee I would be more than happy to give you a walkthrough on the unit.

Sorry for the highjack...you guys need a RB section  Tongue

I know Maple Grove MN is a haul for most of you, but for the extremely curious we will be having a Rebreather Demo Day on Feb 19th.  Your chance to dive the Inspo, KISS, Meg, Dolphin and Azimuth and judge for yourself.

Safe Diving,

Chuck Northrup
Going Under Dive Center 
Live fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse.
01-13-2006, 09:51 AM,
Very informative, thanks.  I also agree we need a RB forum.  I suggested it awhile ago but it didn't look as though the admin caught it.  I would really like to attend the demo but gotta consult the schedule.
01-13-2006, 09:57 AM,

No problem  ;D 

If you ever happen to run into me out at Wazee I would be more than happy to give you a walkthrough on the unit.

Sorry for the highjack...you guys need a RB section  Tongue

I know Maple Grove MN is a haul for most of you, but for the extremely curious we will be having a Rebreather Demo Day on Feb 19th.  Your chance to dive the Inspo, KISS, Meg, Dolphin and Azimuth and judge for yourself.

Safe Diving,

Chuck Northrup
Going Under Dive Center 
[/quote]

I think a rebreather forum would be nice, but I think there is a real lack of rebreather guys on Wiscuba to make a go of it when MNscuba has such a big rebreather contingency.  If you are willing to moderate a rebreather forum on this site, I'm sure we can get a forum going.  In the past, there have been very few rebreather posts that amounted to anything other than a quick mention.  I personally don't see myself 'flying' a rebreather anytime in the near future, but I think they are interesting and I wouldn't mind learning more about them.
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM,
I was hoping in the near future there would be a rebreather forum.  I have alot of interest in a rebreather and hope to get one soon.  I have been on mnscuba and geting great info from Chuck.  Chuck has your shop been certified for the O2ptima yet?  Have you had a chance to try it out?
01-13-2006, 11:01 AM,
Chuck -
I would think Jamie owes you big time about now...

If your really looking for a web site look at rebreatherworld.com 
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM,
We could do a rebreather section without any problems... but I just didn't think there were any RB divers on the board at all.  Chuck I think is the only one Smile