Remember me
Lost Password Register

Aviation Oxygen
12-15-2005, 08:49 AM,
Aviation Oxygen
I was discussing the cost of aviation oxygen with a pilot friend of mine. He told me most of the amateur pilots he knows just use industrial oxygen because it's cheaper.  Thought I'd get your opinions on the topic. Here is one of the links he gave me.

12-15-2005, 10:00 AM,
Re: Aviation Oxygen
For the couple of dollars it may differ depending on your price level, I find it foolish to not use a spec gas.  Aviation is a Breathable gas - garenteed - industrial is not.  From that point everyone will go into it comes out of the same truck - but the cylinders being filled do not get handled the same way - vacummed and refilled at all shops.  The closer to liquid the fill the better the quality.  Industrial gets filled last.
I guess it depends on what your life is worth- how much at your price will this save per bottle and per year?  I smoke a pile of 02 annually.
Next a reduced partial pressure of an impurity will not likely kill the piloit- but the increse PP of unknown at depths may kill us.  I am simply not taking that chance.
12-15-2005, 02:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2005, 02:10 PM by matt t..)
My understanding was that the different grades of 02 were do to the "cleanliness" of the bottles (how many times the bottles were vacuumed before refilling). Most of the people I have talked to are using "aviation" grade in their fill stations. Like Greg said, with the uncertainty of a possible problem is it worth taking a  chance to save a little money? After all the $$$ we've spent on training and gear, breathing gas isn't a smart thing to get cheap on. YMMV Smile
12-15-2005, 03:05 PM,
My life is worth more than a couple of bucks.  I don't have a problem spending money on top quality training, regulators, tanks, drysuits, etc.  Why not do the same for O2.  I am spending under $20 per T bottle for ABO so it is still pretty damn cheap, breathable, dry and clean.
12-17-2005, 11:37 AM,
" For the couple of dollars it may differ depending on your price level, I find it foolish to not use a spec gas."

"After all the $$$ we've spent on training and gear, breathing gas isn't a smart thing to get cheap on."

"My life is worth more than a couple of bucks."

With these comments, wouldn't it make more sense to use Hospital grade and get the best of the best?

12-17-2005, 12:19 PM,

Maybe, but you throw the word medical in anything, the price gets unreasonable.  The important factor to keep in mind is that Aviation grade is meant to be inhaled. This is not the case with the welding grade gas.  Could welding O2 work OK?  Probably, but if I am filling a tank from my O2 bottle, it is mine, or my buddies.  Both of whom I would like to see doing well at the surface after a big dive, and any dive for that matter.  Cost may be more an issue if we were talking about several hundred dollars, but if a bottle of aviator's is $20, how much cheaper do you want it?  There is a very good chance that all of the O2 in all of the bottles comes from the same source, however, the way the bottles are handled to ensure you are getting something breathable is worth the few extra dollars.  I’m sure there are plenty of divers breathing the welding grade gas.  You need to decide what is best for you and your friends.

12-17-2005, 03:32 PM,
The primary reason I prefer aviators breathing oxygen is for dryness.  It is my understanding that ABO is tested for dryness where medical is not.  They are the same for purity standards.  So, based on that reason alone, I think ABO is better than medical grade.  The secondary reason is because medical grade oxygen falls under the drug category as defined by the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) and "technically" can only be used as prescribed by a physician.  I don't think it is impossible to get but why mess around when you don't have to.
12-17-2005, 03:34 PM,
Aviators is spec'd for mositure - USP is not.    There is problems with moisture flying and while diving, so actually aviators is the better choice.  And as refernced it is speced as a breathing grade gas.  Next some areas require prescrition making it a hassel for some folks - then to add to it, usally you cannot get T's cylinders in USP and if you get 2200 psi your lucky.

USP would not cost me any more $.

You could also go crazy on your HE spec and pay a 1000 a bottle, but 4.7 (99.997)  is a breathing spec and recomended by technical diving agency.  sure 99.99999999 is going to be better but the bucks get crazy.  For a few dives I have as for 5.0 and paid double - because there is a time when it is worth it.

What kind of dollars are you getting quoted for gases???

12-17-2005, 03:37 PM,
Todd we must have been typing at the same time...
12-17-2005, 03:53 PM,

I reckon so Wink