Remember me
Lost Password Register

Warning Dive Rite Nitek Duo
07-29-2005, 04:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2005, 04:09 PM by schultz.)
Re: Warning Dive Rite Nitek Duo

If Tami's the sales rep, why doesn't she have some in her store?

Also, I played with the online/java version of the demo on the website... seems to be missing some items and features - hopefully the real thing doesn't.  >Big Grin 

Thanks for the info...
07-29-2005, 06:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2005, 06:41 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
She usually does have her display out when it's not in use at a dive show, etc.
Of course Madison with it's huge tech diver base (like me and Ethan?) dictates a huge inventory of units (not!). Seriously if you'd like to see one, there's always a few floating around the shop. And the new color screens are pretty nice, so it's worth the trip. I wouldn't blame her for keeping them in the back, there's usually one person answering all the calls, doing fills and probably hosting a class simultaneously and a VR3 would probably be the most expensive thing being left unattended out on the floor!

Ethan can explain it better, but some of the things are unneccesary in the demo (my favorite is to go to the 'dive simulator' feature where you get Ethan's personal message on there - too funny!) and it only simulates the VR3, it's not a direct code emulation, just a java mockup done from scratch. Not too bad for an Ethan. He must have put down the matches long enough to do a good job on it  ;D

Gotta get back to helping Cletus put our new dive boat together:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   rednecksm.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-30-2005, 12:08 PM,
I was talking with Chuck up at wazee last weekend and he's been running tables with his KISS rebreather and been getting out of the water about 10  minutes faster than his buddies using the VR3's. I know that Gert had a simplar experince diving tables with the boys from Diverite when they were doing some deep wreck with their diverite He computers.

You may want to take the course first and then decide if you need a $1000 computer to do your dives- a cheap palm pilot is all you need and the rest you can use for something really good, like lots of helium! 8)

If you take the class and then decide you stil want to drop the cash on the computer go for it, but you'll be a better diver in the end being comfortable being able to dive either way.

Jon
07-30-2005, 02:15 PM,
Just like any decoplanner program, the VR3 has variable conservativeness. You can dial it up or down. I never consider getting out of the water last a detriment when you consider half the tables were designed around the Navy tables, made for 19 year old guys in top shape with 12% body fat (ain't me). Palm Pilot? That's one more thing to buy that's basically useless for everything now that cell phones do it all. I'd rather have a nice dive computer than a palm pilot to "take notes" with. Even with tables you still need electronics for your backup tables.
07-31-2005, 06:43 AM,
I have never used a VR3, but I too would take the Trimix course first and then decide whether you think you need a $1000 computer.  I'd buy a bottom timer and spend the other $900 on tanks and regs.
07-31-2005, 12:28 PM,
The computer is useless with a strong fondation surronding it.  You'll need to understand bail out tables for your course and training, so starting with tables, learning to look at them and figuring out gas mutilpliers for bail out senerios is the best way to start.  Then put your money into a computer if you desire.  I personally prefer reliablity which the 159.00 bottom timer has proven.  The computers are getting there....  Dive Rites HE has few failures but you'll deco forever on repetative dives.  I talked with guys that use the VR3 and we have discussed how to tweek there deco with it to make it more manageable.  Recently I had a short discussion on the HS explorer.  And while the disscussion was short I did like the profile that it was generating.  There are problems with being in the water to long, as well as the obvious of decoing to short.  If you have to deveolpe a balance you and your body is happy with.  But dependency on a computer to get you through it is foolish.  And once it is all said and done there is still the new theory in development - 12/6E which may redefind the adventure....

Disclaimer - Unless you were there disregard the 12/6E info....
07-31-2005, 01:31 PM,

I knew that was coming...... ;D

It's always an adventure......................
07-31-2005, 03:06 PM,
Just don't give out the secret while it is still in the experimental phases...
08-06-2005, 07:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2005, 08:01 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)

Either way, it's electronic, needs batteries, it's gonna fail. I don't know where you're diving, but for me a working 40 minute dive when you're trying to stay still and do a survey without getting lost in silt is a LONG dive in our ice water. If I can minimize my deco and gas use by doing things like swimming 40 feet above the visible bottom and then dropping down when I see where I need to work, i'm doing it. Tables aren't going to credit me for that. And if my computer fails, I still have the backup tables in my pocket. You're right, you have to find a balance that makes your body happy. It's definitely important not to ignore that twinge or ache, pressure or even just a -feeling- of something not being right, stay on the bottle a few minutes longer, it'll only help.

oh, and bottom timers don't biatch at you enough (!)