Remember me
Lost Password Register

Warning Dive Rite Nitek Duo
07-26-2005, 08:26 AM,
Warning Dive Rite Nitek Duo
Just thought I would let you all know that I bought a Nitek Duo back in May of this year, did 14 dives on it and then one day before diving, while getting ready to dive I was putting on my computer and there was a flashing "E" on the screen. I reset the machine and pulled the battery but it did not help the "E" was still there and I was unable to use my computer. I had a local dive shop call Dive Rite and explain the situation and they said send it back and we will fix it "We have seen this before"?!?!?  I got my computer back 2 weeks later did one shallow dive on the Hesper wreck in Superior the computer worked perfectly, following weekend I was at Wazee with a 190' max depth dive planned and crossing 183' I looked down to check my computer and had NO SCREEN the computer died during the dive. I was 3 minutes into my 10 minute planned bottom time dive. I turned the dive extremely angry and headed back to the line. I called Dive Rite the following Monday and spoke with Jeffery and he didn't say to much almost like "crap" this is not good. He said that they had repaired my old computer. I told him it was dead and I wanted a new one. He understood and said that it would be at least 2 weeks. I told him I didn't want to wait that long and that I would work with the dive shop where I bought the unit and see if they would exchange it. Which they did no questions asked. I was at Wazee this past weekend trying once again to do the same dive 190' max for 10 minutes. Once again at 186' I looked down to check my computer and had NO SCREEN, my brand new computer had died as well. I am telling you to use extreme caution with these computers if you have one. Obviously there is a problem and Dive Rite needs to admit to that and recall them if this is the case. I returned mine yesterday, so now I am computer less and extremely PO'd at Dive Rite.

I guess I would call Dive Rite and find out what the deal is if you have a Nitek Duo.

Phone: (386) 752-1087
support@diverite.com

Better safe than sorry.

eric
07-26-2005, 05:43 PM,
Re: Warning Dive Rite Nitek Duo
Thanks for the heads up. Spend another $150 and get a bottom timer as a back-up, I know you don't want to spend even more money, but at least you won't lose any dives. Better yet, return the Nitek Duo and get 2 bottom timers.....Very discouraging to have a new piece of gear take a dump on you (twice!). Let us know how it turns out.
07-27-2005, 06:04 PM,
Thanks for the "Heads UP"
We all hear about how great some of the STUFF we buy is, but when a Diver has a problem like this its great for all of us to be aware of it!
Whether we already own it or are looking to purchase, information is knowledge!
Remember we should expect all gear to fail and plan accordingly!
...But we relay don't, do we!

Next year I'm hoping to buy a New computer so I appreciate all information,
Good or bad!
      Let us know how it all works out.
                    Rik O+<

07-27-2005, 08:22 PM,
Thanks for the heads up.  Be sure to let us know how Dive Rite handles this.  I own a LOT of Dive Rite gear.  Not much has gone bad with it, but when it does go bad (either malfunction or dumb operator error) they have been extremely good with fixing what is wrong - whether I broke it or not....or one of my friends broke it, in the case of a couple of canister lights. 
07-28-2005, 10:48 AM,
I've had the same problems in the past with computers from Sunnto and Pelagic. It's one of the main reasons I just run tables now and don't trust anything to a computer.

I've also had friends with Uwatec made computers get some pretty strange readings on them- like 300' while wearing it ina swimming pool. :Smile

Usually when my computers gave out it was always deeper than 160' and I always had at least 45 minutes of deco to go. Tables and a couple of bottom timers have proven to be much more fail-safe.

Jon
07-28-2005, 02:16 PM,
But wait… If Microsoft has taught me one thing….
         <Click><Click><Click>
it has to always….
         <Click><Click><Click>
trust your Computer and its Operating System...
         <Click><Click><Click>
Frick’n…
         <Click><Click><Click>
Pop-up….
         <Click><Click><Click>
Ads…
         <Click><Click><Click>

In all serisousness, I totally agree with Jon… it’s one of the reasons my backup computer is a watch and a bunch of Dive tables.

It's always been my stance that electronics and water tend not to play well with one another, and one of the reasons I don't have a zillion dollar camera. Although I can sympathize with your story (having had a dive computer flood), I would chalk it up as a learning experience. I am curious to know how it all turns out for you though, since I haven't heard anything really good nor bad about these particular DR computers. Please keep us in the loop.
07-29-2005, 08:32 AM,
Well, and now for the rest of the story...

I have returned the computer to the shop where I bought it. Funny thing when I got there the shop owner was on the phone with Dive Rite getting an RMA number for my other dead computer. The shop owner saw me and saw the computer and told Dive Rite to hang on. I told him I had another dead computer for him. He said "Ok, I am on the phone with dive rite" He went back to his phone conversation and said make that 2 RMA numbers I have another Duo here from the same customer that died in the same spot. He got the information and hung up; I asked him what they said. He told me they said they think they know what the problem is?!!??!?!? I am thinking great, if they know there is a problem why aren't they recalling them? So needless to say I will NOT be getting another Dive Rite computer. I sent Dive Rite a very long email, to was to the point and definitely expressed my extreme disappointed with there Nitek Duo. I sent that a week ago and have not heard anything in return, which also makes me kind of mad. So now I am computer less and in the market. I am seriously thinking about the VR3 since I will either be taking Entry Trimix this fall or next spring. Any thoughts on the VR3?

Eric
07-29-2005, 01:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2005, 02:32 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)

You can't go wrong with the VR3, the rep is right here in Wisconsin (call and she can direct you to a dealer, (608)238-4803) I haven't seen any of them do anything unpredictable, and the batteries are easy to change (beware of the Uwatec and OMS computers and timers, especially the older ones- they have to go back to the factory for battery changes, and some are even out of "support" phase, so you're SOL like mine and 2 others I saw get their "E" prompt this week!) VR3 comes in many different options and they're completely upgradeable. And Kevin Gurr the CEO rocks too. Price=about a grand. Worth it? YES, every penny. Nothing like having that was BUILT for abuse. You can compare it with the DR Best features are obviously the multi-gas capability and trimix (up to 10), and the dive planner lets you cut tables that will match the VR3, without having to haul a laptop around! It used to use the Buhlmann-8 previously, I believe; now they have or will have VPM, which is nice for those dive planning with V-Planner.

07-29-2005, 02:10 PM,

You can't go wrong with the VR3, the rep is right here in Wisconsin (call and she can direct you to a dealer, (608)238-4803) I haven't seen any of them do anything unpredictable, and the batteries are easy to change (beware of the Uwatec and OMS computers and timers, especially the older ones- they have to go back to the factory for battery changes, and some are even out of "support" phase, so you're SOL like mine and 2 others I saw get their "E" prompt this week!) VR3 comes in many different options and they're completely upgradeable. And Kevin Gurr the CEO rocks too. Price=about a grand. Worth it? YES, every penny. Nothing like having that was BUILT for abuse. You can compare it with the DR Best features are obviously the multi-gas capability and trimix (up to 10), and the dive planner lets you cut tables that will match the VR3, without having to haul a laptop around! It used to use the Buhlmann-8 previously, I believe; now they have or will have VPM, which is nice for those dive planning with V-Planner.
[/quote]

Cool thanks for the information on the VR3 I have looked at them but never really checked them out much. I have heard more bad things about the Explorer and the Nitek HE than I have heard about the VR3 so right now I am leaning toward the VR3. I am going to look at one on Monday with a dealer here in the Twin Cities he is going to show me around on it and then let me take one to Wazee next weekend to try it out. Should be interesting. Anything else I should know?

eric
07-29-2005, 02:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2005, 06:23 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Richard Dreher from Scuba Dive & Travel? Tell him I said hi and ask him when he wants to do some more filming at Castle Rock.

Anything you should know? It's got a steeper learning curve than most, but luckily designed a simulator so you can learn how to use it before you get it . I highly recommend you and practice with it before you get in the water so you're not wasting your dive screwing everything up on it (been there, done that!)

That does suck about the DR's. Everything else they make rocks (except their itty-bitty safety reels in designer colors!). At least it was only a computer, just think if it was the brain box on a CCR Rebreather....

Attached Files
.jpg   einsteinshow.php.jpg (Size: 32.26 KB / Downloads: 139)
.jpg_thumb   einsteinshow.php.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.28 KB / Downloads: 0)