Remember me
Lost Password Register

Blackbeard live-aboard questions
05-03-2005, 06:37 AM,
Re: Blackbeard live-aboard questions
I spend plenty of time in cold water. Wink

It all comes down to how long your dives are. If you are doing 30- 40 minute dives you could get away with that- as others did, but since they all ran out of air 45 minutes faster than I did I thought it was worth the extra thickness.

The whole reason to go on a trip like that is to rack up the bottom time and snap some pictures, or maybe tag a few fish if your freediving. IF keeping warm allows you to spend more time in the water than why not?

BTW: I didn't vomit on the ride over, but I almost had another guy puke on me during the return trip- nothing like sleeping in the sun only to be woken up by everyone yelling, "Jon, move quick!" ;D

Jon
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM,
Sound advice Jon.

There was one diver in a dry suit this year.

Doug
05-04-2005, 03:01 PM,
As I recall most most of our dives were in the 50-70 min range, it really depended on depth, what we were doing, and what there was to see. On our drift dive we touched 130 and some of our group went to 150 and yes that is crazy only being on single 80s.  So that dive was under 30 min.  The only other short dive I was was the last one, that was cut short because my camera case flooded.  Sad
05-11-2005, 06:37 PM,
Hey,
  Another question for any of you who want to answer. Has anyone gone on Blackbeards liveaboard by themselves. I am just wondering as I am going solo on this trip.
Thanks ;D
diving is life
05-11-2005, 10:45 PM,
Yes.  I've been on the boats twice by myself.  At first you are a stranger, but soon you realize you are surrounded by strangers.  Just like any one traveling.  Within a few hours you have friends.  Within a few days, you know everyone (it is not that big of a boat).  I love those trips.  Next time I go down to cave country, I hope to head down to Miami to hop on another of those boats.  The diving is pretty good.  The price is good. And it is a lot of fun...
05-12-2005, 06:46 AM,
I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Everyone is pretty friendly.

Bring decent raingear (the crossing can be wet...).  Take dramamine for the crossing.

Bring good clothespins.  The boat turns into a huge clothesline, and your towels can really snap in the wind.  Something like this:

Can actually work really, really well.
05-12-2005, 05:25 PM,
I did a liveaboard last summer solo.  Within about 10 minutes of meeting the whole group I was at ease.  A couple other guys on the trip were my age and they adopted me into their group.

Lonnie and I are doing Blackbeards in 2 months...3 days... 1 hour.... 
--Jason
05-13-2005, 06:28 AM,
Looking forward to the warm weather a little bit?  ;D
05-19-2005, 02:44 PM,
It might actualy be warm and sunny down there Smile  Have fun.