Remember me
Lost Password Register

Blackbeard live-aboard questions
04-28-2005, 11:22 AM,
Blackbeard live-aboard questions
I am hopefully going diving with blackbeard live-aboards Dec 13-Jan 6. Has anyone dove with them, and what can you tell me about them that their website doesn't tell me. If you can help that would be wonderful
diving is life
04-28-2005, 11:48 AM,
Re: Blackbeard live-aboard questions
I went diving with them this past winter and it was great.  There are pictures posted under the |  Distant Locations  |  Topic: Bahamas,  on this web site.  We had good weather, the diving was great and the food was good.  They were very accomidating.  We were able to specify some of the dive sites and they did not stay at the ones we did not like.
04-28-2005, 11:49 AM,
I have been on a Blackbeard's trip twice.  Both times were very enjoyable.  It helps to know the other people on the boat.   17 people on a 65 foot sail boat for a week could be quite a challenge if you were with a group that didn't get along.

The biggest things to remember is that you are not on luxury live aboard, and everone is there to dive and have fun.  

The diving is pretty good if you like bad tasting water and pretty fish.  The food is great, and the people I went with were a lot of fun.  I would do it again in a second.
04-28-2005, 01:29 PM,
Call Three Little Devils and ask to talk to Jon.  He worked like 9 months on their boats as an instructor.  Might be able to give you  some insight.
04-28-2005, 01:47 PM,
First, the water is cooler than you might think- I wore a full 6.5mm suit with an attached hood and wasn't too warm, although my dives where almost all  90 mintues long. People laughed at me the first day, but a few days into the trip their 3mm jumpsuits just weren't cutting it anymore.

I know other instructors who always wear 7mm jumpsuits on their warm water trips because they shoot photos and like to spend a lot of time in the water. 3mm look nice, but if you want maximum bottom time throw on some extra rubber- or buy a freediving suit. Wink

Second, you are limited to the number of dives you can do in a day- 3 to 4. For some people this is enough but I was pretty ticked that I couldn't do more and wouldn't go again.  When I was in Bonaire and Roatan I could easily get 5-6 dives in a day without a hassle. Sad

On the plus side I saw more fish there than in many other places that I have dove, including Bonaire and Roatan.

Jon

04-28-2005, 02:49 PM,

Good call Jon, I did the same and didn't regret it for a second.  Being cold sucks.
04-28-2005, 04:22 PM,
I wear a 7/9 everywhere, including nassau when I was there, and cozumel, and the San Juans. So I don't doubt that I will be wearing my 7/9 down there too. But thanks for the tip, any I can get are good for me ;D
diving is life
04-28-2005, 05:35 PM,
Jason Baker and I are doing the Blackbeard's trip in mid July.  Can't wait.  It'll be my first saltwater dives ever and first warm water dives for that matter in my 4 years of diving.  :-[ It's gonna feel weird diving in a wetsuit again.  I haven't dove wet since my first year diving and that was in a 7 mil.  We're bringing 3 mils for the trip in July since water temp will be 80+. Smile
04-28-2005, 06:17 PM,
I hope to be on Blackbeard's Cruise Jan 7 with DivePoint.  This will be my third trip and it is a blast.  There is a lot of good descriptions from past trips on this site, just look where Red suggested.  The key to the cruise is getting used to the head, but the views can be great.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Head - 1 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Sea Explorer - 28 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.83 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-28-2005, 06:47 PM,
Shoot that ain't too bad Doug.  I've seen crappers worse than that one...LOL! :-X