Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit repair?
04-14-2005, 04:42 PM,
Re: Drysuit repair?
OK, so here's what I did.  Blocked the wrist and neck with bottles, filled the suit with air and sprayed soapy water at suspected areas.  I did notice that where the glove rings were, there looked like some mild dryrot type of look although nothing looked rotted through (and the suit is less than 2 yrs. old).  Anyway the soap showed one very small, pin-sized hole.  Could this little hole have caused my entire arm, chest, groin and part of a leg to be soaked on a 45 min dive at less than 30' (Devil's Lake)?  Sorry about the question, this is my first drysuit and I hated getting soaked in 44 degree water.  I intend to fix this hole with aquaseal and get replacement seals this summer and have discovered that I should have been using seal-saver and will with the new seals.  So, thanks for the advice that I already got and I appreciate the opinion if such a small leak could cause so much leakage in 45 min at such a shallow depth.
04-14-2005, 05:09 PM,
What you describe does not surprise me.

Doug
04-14-2005, 08:02 PM,
Be careful with the "seal saver". It's made of silicone and  if used "liberally" will keep glue (for new seal installation) from sticking. I wash my seals (inside and out) every 3rd dive or so with baby shampoo and use talc on them. Two years and going strong.
04-14-2005, 09:18 PM,
If that "pin hole" was bubbling up you bet that could soak you.  Fix the spot and then test it again.  Put plenty of the soapy water mix on the suit.  Chances are your wrist seals are fine.

Jim
04-15-2005, 04:47 AM,
Thanks again to everyone,
Mike
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM,
Then there is me Smile  Never talc 'em, never wash 'em...and I beat the crud out of them.  Working on my third year with them Smile

04-19-2005, 07:35 AM,
Well I fixed the hole with aquaseal, putting on two coats and also on some areas I suspected could be the next trouble spots.  Then I filled with air again, and couldn´t find a leak.  I suppose my next dive will be the test.  Actually, a pool session might be better.  Thanks again, all.
Mike
04-19-2005, 09:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2005, 10:33 AM by matt t..)
Forget the pool. Hit the cold water and hope for the best.
Everything will work itself out (eventually) ;D. Good luck!
04-19-2005, 04:38 PM,
Okay Mike, now your going to have to do a cold water dive and inform us of the results. ;D  Best of luck

Jim
04-20-2005, 05:11 AM,
OK,  Can't get away this weekend (have to work) but I've got one planned for the next weekend.  I'll let you know if I get wet or not.
Mike