Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit repair?
04-11-2005, 08:16 PM,
Drysuit repair?
I'm having a hard time determining where my ds is leaking. Perhaps it is time to have a pro look at it.  Can anyone recommend someone.  What about Drysuits Plus in Milwaukee?  Their webpage claims very fast turnaround on repairs.  What do they normally charge to leak test a suit?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
04-11-2005, 09:22 PM,
Re: Drysuit repair?
I don't know what the pro's charge for finding a leak, but here is what I do.  I plug the wrist seals with soda bottles and put a bleach or simular size jug in the neck seal.  Then I inflate the suit.  I take a little dish soap and mix it with water and pour it on the suspected area.  The leak will appear as bubbles.  I have a Unisuit which is neoprene and marking the spot with chalk works pretty good.  I then remove the plugs and let the suit dry out and apply aquaseal to the affected area.  Haven't had a leak yet I couldn't track down.  Good luck.

Jim
04-11-2005, 09:58 PM,
You can also take the suit into a closet or dark room and shine a flashlight from the inside out. Sounds a little questionable but it works sometimes. As far as Drysuits Plus goes I've heard good and bad. Mostly bad lately. Superior drysuit repair is supposed to be the best in the Midwest. I think they're up in Minnesota. Good luck with the suit.
04-12-2005, 05:10 AM,
Thanks for the ideas; Ill try them both.
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM,
I've had great luck, a very fast turn around and decent prices from Drysuits Plus. Most everyone I know takes their suits there and hasn’t been disappointed. Haven't heard any of the bad things that were mentioned above.
04-12-2005, 09:04 AM,
The examples I'm talking about are promised pick up dates (come and gone with no communication and it turns out the work isn't done), 2 suits sent in for seals, 1 looks great, the other looks like my kids did it. Maybe it's like the old Buying a car theory, "don't buy a car made on Monday or a Friday". Some people are happy others are not. I'm very selective about my gear. I've heard nothing but good about Superior from people all over the country. YMMV Wink
04-12-2005, 05:15 PM,
My suit is coming back from Superior Drysuit Repair this week.  Everyone around here uses them.  Their prices are very reasonable and the work is oftentimes better than the original manufacturer.
--Jason
04-13-2005, 06:25 PM,
How likely is it that my leak is from the exhaust valve.  I've always left it full open, but could it leak more and more there if I keep it full open?  Haven't had time yet to test it as mentioned above.
04-13-2005, 07:43 PM,

If you suspect it may be your exhaust valve, take it apart and clean it.  It shouldn't matter how much you have it open or closed.  It isn't supposed to leak.
04-13-2005, 08:14 PM,
Will do.  Thanks