Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bonaire
01-03-2007, 10:02 PM,
Re: Bonaire
THere are a large variety of eel in Bonaire.  You have the common green moray eel and the less common manytooth conger.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Green Moray Eel - 5 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.97 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Eel - 3 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.32 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-03-2007, 10:07 PM,
Bonaire is one of the great places in the world to study squid.  The squid can put on a great show when they come around.

.jpg_thumb   Squid - 6 - Enhanced - close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.22 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Squid - 10 - Enhanced - close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.56 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-03-2007, 10:10 PM,
In the soft coral you can find all sort of little creatures.  Here are two of my favorite, the fireworm and the flamingo tongue.

.jpg_thumb   Flamingo Tongue - 11 - Enhanced - close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.9 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Fireworm - 9 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 45.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM,
Finally in the coral you can find the Christmas tree worm and the scarlet band cleaning shrimp.  These little guys make the time spent worth it.

I hope you enjoyed these pictures as much as I enjoyed making them.  But finally we have to say good-bye to the 84 deg F water and get back to the real world of 33 deg F river water and a dry suit.

In either case, get out and dive.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Coral - 149 - Enhanced - Close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 43.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Shrimp - 40 - Enhanced - close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.03 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-03-2007, 04:42 AM,
I finally  was able to put together a few pictures from a trip in March to Bonaire. It was a great trip and I took many pictures.  It was a blast.  Bonaire offers a lot of freedom to dive and really enjoy yourself.  You can easily get in 20 to 30 dives in a week and see many sites as there is a large diversity of creatures in Bonaire.

A few pictures would be nice.

One of the thins that I like is the variety in Bonaire.  In over 20 dives we saw a moray eel in every dive.  The variety we saw was great: green, spotted, sharpstail, goldentail, chain, purplemouth and manytoothed conger.  Here are tw nice examples.

.jpg_thumb   Green Moray Eel - 12 - Close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.55 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Goldentail Moray Eel - 22 - Enhanced - Close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 55.03 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-03-2007, 04:46 AM,
Megan is a great spotter.  Conditions were extremely good for spotting fish life.  Here Megan demonstrates her diving skill.  And a good look at the great coral that exists in Bonaire.

.jpg   Megan - 3 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg (Size: 79.52 KB / Downloads: 171)
.jpg_thumb   Megan - 3 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Coral - 190 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 44.65 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-03-2007, 04:50 AM,
I like to take pictures of the little things.  Here are some nice crustaceans.

.jpg_thumb   Shrimp - 22 - Enhanced - Close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 48.84 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Arrow Crab - 2 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 42.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-03-2007, 04:52 AM,
Here are some other fine little things.

.jpg_thumb   Fireworm - 15 - Enhanced - Close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 47.9 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Flamingo Tongue - 15 - Enhanced - Close-up - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 60.66 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-03-2007, 04:55 AM,
I also like to watch the blue fish.  But sometimes they gang up on the reef.

.jpg_thumb   Surgeonfish - 5 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 47.25 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Blue Tang - 19 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 44.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
11-03-2007, 05:02 AM,
Finally some of the things that made this trip remarkable.  We ran into a lot of silversides on these dives and they were very interesting.  Usually they would open up as a ball and you could pass therough the cloud.  But when frightened, they would run into you and it felt like being hit with paint balls.  Made for a great time.

There were also a lot of squid.  They put on some great shows.  They are an exceptional creature and more than fun to watch.

It was a great trip and I hope that these few pictures show how fun it was.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Silversides - 4 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 44.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Squid - 20 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.18 KB / Downloads: 0)