Remember me
Lost Password Register

Entry Level Computer
02-11-2005, 08:52 AM,
Re: Entry Level Computer

or if you don't need the computer link-up there is the suunto gecko which runs $274 from LP

the vyper is now $334
03-09-2005, 08:45 AM,
I was surprised that I didnt see mention of Aeris computers at all in this discussion. one of the best single gas hocky pucks around in my experience. Biggest seller I had in the stores I managed in Ft Lauderdale and S Miami. The air integratted "Elite" can be had for $649 and it is the top of the line. Really nice to have it all at the wrist. I really like the readability of the AI console also. They call it the "dashboard" look. Large numbers on it, kinda like those little desktop calculaters with really big numbers, for those entering the *cough , cough* later years and getting visually challanged! *L* The AI Console can be had for $599. These computers have user replaceable batteries, BTW Scuba pro are NOT intended to be user replaceable and are designed to make sure they get the diver back into a scubapro store. They even brag about that point at overhaul and rebuild seminars I've attended.
If you want a grrrrreat operating single gas that also will handle up to 50% o2, can switch to gauge and not lock down, or even just a wrist air computer. Lookn at Aeris in the last edition of Sport Diver  Wink
03-09-2005, 06:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2005, 06:16 AM by matt t..)

Nobody mentioned "Aeris" because I don't think anyone around here sells them, so there is no experience with them.
As I get more involved with diving I'm noticing that gear brands are a lot more localized than I would have thought. I think most divers (at least NEW divers) tend to use brands their LDS sells or instructor uses. In this area the computer brands seem to be Suunto  and Uwatec. Wink
03-09-2005, 08:10 PM,
I heard a rumor that Aeris and Oceanic computers are made by the same company, the Pelagic group, so they should be almost the same. 
03-09-2005, 11:06 PM,
What about Uwatec Aladdin Pro?  I have one, and I also have a SUUNTO Stinger.  I use them both, but they are quite different.  The SUUNTO is superb to hook to the computer after the dive, but it's small, and difficult to look at when you pass 10 - 15 meters depth.  The Alladdin on the other hand is perfect due to the large display, and it is less conservative than the Stinger. 

(I am a Norwegian living in the Philippines)
03-10-2005, 08:55 PM,
I know a lot of people that use the Alladin.  A good computer by all accounts.

Doug
03-10-2005, 09:16 PM,

My orignal Aladin Pro is/was bulletproof.  My newer Smart Pro hasn't been so good, but I get great support from Divepoint Scuba.    I do like the gauge mode, and the ability to download all of my dives to a PDA or PC.  I'm planning to try one of the new Aladin TEC computers as soon as they become available.  Hopefully I can see one in action on somebody elses wrist first.  I will wear it as a backup to the Smartpro and a stop watch.
03-11-2005, 07:21 AM,
I would hold out for the new uwatec - tec wrist unit- if your not in a hurry.  It will have some incredible features that you cannot out grow.  Once the bugs get worked out and they stop turnging into big  ;D at 250'.  I think it has a $500.00 ticket price on it, which is cheap for the features.  I am looking forward to the one I ordered, but it will sit next to my BT timer for a while...
Greg