wiscuba.com

Full Version: Entry Level Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Howdy
I'm looking for info. on an entry level computer. I'm a fair weather diver for now so I was looking for a less expensive model. Any info will help.

Thanks
Chad
Suunto "Vyper". Wrist mounted, Nitrox, air, gauge mode.
Buy on-line for $275-$300. Good for rec-tech.

Omicron

Scubapro makes some reasonably priced air-integrated entry level computers - I haven't had experience w/ any other brands.

Personally I like the DiveRite Nitek+ - a small, non air-integrated wrist computer that does nitrox and works great.
I have to second the suunto vyper.  It is a rock solid computer that will work for any type of diving.
I have a Sunnto Favor that I bought from LP.  Some of my buddies bought them at the Ghostships festival for $99.00.  I've used it for two years now and really like it.

Jim
Some nice units here.  THe Suunto Favor is a good deal when you can find it.

Uwatec  makes a nice "hockey puck" that can be mounted on the wrist or console.  DivePoint has them.

DiveRite Nitek + is a great unit and makes for a nice watch also.

I have some Sherwood Courier that has been a super unit.

Doug

I always use an Oceanic.  It's never given me any major problems, and I can change the battery very easilly.
Thanks for all you help!

I was wondering if all the models you guys suggested have user replaceable batteries?

Also, do you have a favorite place to purchase a computer. Is mail order/online ordering a good place to go.  (So far I have bought some stuff for my wife from leisurepro.com and I have been happy but other that that I have purchased from the local shop here in Green Bay.)

Thanks again
Chad

Omicron

This little scubapro computer:

Is pretty neat and I *believe* it has user replaceable batteries.  I know my DiveRite doesn't have replaceables, I have to send it in.  Most Scubapro/Uwatec computers are that way too.
Suunto computers have user replaceable batteries. I bought my Vytec (and Uwatec) from LP. LP has it's own warranty system, usually as good as the manufacturers. I've bought a few things there and never had a problem. The 1 guy I talked to that did have a warranty issue with a computer from LP had it replaced within 1 month. You do hear horror stories form time to time, but I figure with what I saved over retail I can buy another one if need be.
Pages: 1 2