Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gun Nuts :)
02-11-2005, 11:45 AM,
Re: Gun Nuts :)

Cookin', cleanin', laundry.... I'm sure there are other things, but it is a family board. ;D   
02-11-2005, 12:39 PM,
Probably the most popular caliber is 9 mm, however, you see plenty of .40 caliber and of course the .45, which is what I shoot primarily.  I shoot a Glock 36 which is the compact single stack 45 from Glock.  For years, I was a real 1911 snob, but I caught the Glock bug last year and now I have 2 plus lots of magazines and of course LOTS of ammo Wink

IDPA was really formed out of the old USPSA (IPSC) practical shooting game, which became less and less practical as people started to game their way to the top with compensated $4,000 race guns and speed draw holsters.

One of the grounding rules in IDPA is; "If you wouldn't carry it or use it for personal defense, it is not allowed."  In fact, the stages are actually built around 18 round maximums to allow the wheelgun shooters to compete.

Last Saturday, I brought 3 new shooters.  All were people that I dive with and they had a blast!!!!!
02-11-2005, 01:50 PM,
Fred,

We DID have a shooting range set up for Freedive-A-Palooza last year. I don't know if you got to use it, but ted, Gert and I all did. Wink

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   palooza spearing email.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-11-2005, 02:59 PM,

Smile  If I could just get her to shovel the driveway, life would be perfect!  Smile

Actually...not so sure I should leave that comment on the board...she does read it occasionally.  Especially now that she is armed.

freedivernd - I agree w/ you on the rimfires.  I love shooting bigger pistols, but you can't beat spending $8 on a 500 round box of .22 ammo.  You can plink away all day for it.

My next toy is going to be one of those Bushnell Holosights.  My girlfriends dad has them on his Desert Eagle and his .22, and they are amazing sights.  The price tag on them is pretty steep though, even on eBay...and I'm not 100% sure if I can mount on onto my .45 or not.
02-11-2005, 03:13 PM,
Speaking of IDPA, I am a member of the Lacrosse Area IDPA.  Unfortunately, due to work schedule and other time constraints, I have not been able to make many matches the past year and I missed the state match this last year as it was held in LAcrosse.  I safety officered for the STate Match in 2003 and it was a great time.  I was surprised how few 40 cal guns are used.  I use my Glock 22 because it is my duty gun and I try to train/use it whenever I can for the practice.  45 and 9 seem to predominate the LAX area club.  But for whatever reason, oh I remember, paying for my trip to Cozumel, I got rid of my Kimber Classic Custom 45 a few months ago.

On another note, a buddy of mine has been talking about this for years, but early this morning, I finally saw it and held it for myself.  A sure enough, 1980's vintage IMI UZI, complete with the original box, all three barrels, shoulder holster, 15 or so magazines, and other accessories.  Talk about major wood, that was it.  I remember seeing pictures of this in gun magazines 20 years ago.  Its for sale but he hasn't started talking price and I know I can't afford it, which is unfortunate.  Oh well not enough time, not enough money and too many hobbies to occupy my time.
02-11-2005, 05:24 PM,

IPSC... that's what I was thinkin'.. but then I thought maybe that was the silhoutte comp... so I guessed PPC.. anyway.. I think the last IDPA shoot I was to I used my Starfire .40  -  I too, have been a 1911 die hard.. love the sleek frame, my nicest one now is a Colt CCO (concealed carry officer) model in .45.  I wonder if I've shot that one yet....  I'm sure I have, just been awhile.  Then there's my deer huntin' tanfuglio Witness 10mm auto - which I can tell you is a worthless caliber for deer... (minimum legal for deer in ND is 10mm auto)
02-11-2005, 07:01 PM,

That's my problem to many hobbies and not enough $$$. It's hard to decide whether to spend my "extra" money on gun stuff or dive gear. Lately it's been the guns. I'm glad my wife hasn't caught on to how much "extra" money I've been spending lately  ;D
02-14-2005, 08:44 AM,
Thought I'd add a few pics of some of the guns we bring to South Dakota.  1st. the Prairie Dog Devastator, a Bushmaster V-Match.  I cropped most of the picture as it may be offensive to some viewers.

.jpg_thumb   PDD.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-14-2005, 08:46 AM,
Then sometimes you have to bring out the heavy firepower, the Big 50 Caliber single shot built on an AR-15 frame with Springfield Armory scope.  This 1,000 yard package is a little overkill, but fun to shoot (kind of expensive though).  Stay away from the muzzle blast, it will lift your hair off.

.jpg_thumb   Big 50.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.12 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-14-2005, 09:14 AM,
Rather than shoot off of a bench like the guys I go to SD with, I prefer to wander around on the prairie and shoot sitting on my butt.  The long Harris Bi-pod is perfect for shooting this way.

.jpg_thumb   PDD 1.jpg_thumb (Size: 13.21 KB / Downloads: 0)