wiscuba.com
Gun Nuts :) - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Gun Nuts :) (/showthread.php?tid=560)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Gun Nuts :) - mrclean - 02-07-2005

Good thing I was at work reading your first post, Jason.  All that talk about guns and I had to fondle my Glock and the squad M-16.  We had a good time at Wazee too.

Andy

Re: Lake Lucerne - Omicron - 02-08-2005

Where do you work again?  I need a job that I can bring firearms to work at Smile

Re: Lake Lucerne - mrclean - 02-08-2005

I work for the Black River Falls Police Department, so I've got lots of fun things to play with.  They are sending me to the FBI Sniper Academy in a few months so they are letting me pick out my own "sniper/tactical rifle".  Okay, but I don't want this to get completely off topic, but it sounds like good ice diving was had by all this last weekend.

Andy

Re: Lake Lucerne - matt t. - 02-08-2005

I think we need to start a "guns" thread in the off topic area. Diving and guns are 2 of my favorites  ;D.

Re: Gun Nuts :) - Omicron - 02-09-2005

I split this one out Smile

Andy - sounds like a lot of fun to be honest.  I've always wanted to try out some of those really long range rifles.  I think it would be neat as all get out to learn how to get a target that you can barely see with the naked eye.

And matt, I'd have to agree with you - guns and diving are a favorite Smile  I got my first one as a birthday present when I was 13.....I love going out and putting holes in things Smile 

I don't hunt as much as I used to...my parents used to own 80 acres only a few miles from where I grew up, so I went all the time.  But now, the only (private) land I have available is like 35 minutes away so I don't go out as much as I used to. 

Re: Lake Lucerne - matt t. - 02-09-2005

So what type of rifle of rifle and caliber are you looking at? I recently bought a SA M1A. The M21 or M25 version would make a good semi auto tactical/sniper rig. Bolt actions are much more economical to buy and probably a little more reliable (less maintenance), but the "swank" factor isn't there for me.

Re: Gun Nuts :) - mrclean - 02-09-2005

Matt

Actually, I just got back from Moe Hardware in BRF after ordering my new rifle.  I have always been particular to the Savage 10 FP.  Another consideration was cost.  My chief was being quite frugal when he tasked me with picking out my rifle.  So, since Savage has come out with their new Accu-trigger, I got the Savage 10 FP LEA 308, with the Adjustable Choate sniper stock.  We'll work on picking up some glass next, but I like Nikon over Leupold.  I believe Nikon is just as high quality with excellent light transmission about the same as or better as Leupold.  And usually you'll pay several hundred dollars less for Nikon over Leupold.

Can't wait for it to come in and start putting out rounds downrange.  I'm a South Dakota prairie dog week tripper in the spring, so I like that sitting on a bench, shooting long range.  I'll have to post some photos of some of my South Dakota ventures.  For South Dakota, I use the PDD (Prairie Dog Devastator), A Bushmaster V-Match with a Leupold scope and tall Harris bi-pod.

It's great to be a gun and scuba nut

Andy

Re: Gun Nuts :) - matt t. - 02-09-2005

Andy,
     I agree about the Leupold/Nikon camparison, brighter optics for the $$$ with Nikon (that said I own 3 Leupolds and NO Nikons  ;D). Since getting into the service rifles I've been shooting open sights only. Savage seems to have a great rifle for the $$$. I've heard a lot of good things about their 110 line. I'll be looking for a bolt gun next summer and may check them out. I've been thinking about a Rem 700 PSS 308. Maybe have to get together for a diving/blasting weekend next summer.

Matt

Re: Gun Nuts :) - Omicron - 02-09-2005

I love Moe's Smile

Re: Gun Nuts :) - dfreeman - 02-09-2005

I tend to agree about the Leupold/Nikon debate.  I feel that the Leopold has slightly better optics but the Nikon has the quality and the price.  With that said, I also own a Leopold and no Nikon's.

Savage makes a great rifle.  I have a 110 in .30-06 and it shoots great.  I also have a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester (7.62x51 NATO) and it shoots good, but I have not found a reload that I really like.  I have some OK loads, but still need to work on it.

The M1A is a rifle that I have been interested in for a long time.  Some day.

I always like a little trigger time.  Banging the metal targets at 300 meters at Twin City Sports Club in Appleton is a lot of fun.  The boys (2 sons) and girls (1 daughter) can easily shoot 1,000 rounds out there in a afternoon. 

Then I reload for a month.

Their favorite is a Colt AR-15 Match Target, with or without scope.  Though the Savage really can ring the gong with that 165 grain bullet.

I think I need to shoot something, better go diving.

Doug