Remember me
Lost Password Register

Where/how to hang your gear on harness?
12-19-2004, 09:27 AM,
Re:Where/how to hang your gear on harness?
Please explain?
[/quote]

I'm not selling the computer I just bought to buy a wrist mounted one. I'm not purchasing a timing device for the other wrist. I'm not swapping my console for a simple pressure gauge. And I'm not going to a 7' hose for my reg. At least not yet (the reg part, everything else is staying).

Quote:Several of my questions are answered, except where to put the items that aren't DIR, such as the console and octo that isn't on a necklace.
What I meant here is, where to put my items that aren't DIR. I didn't mean to imply there were things on those websites that weren't DIR.
[/quote]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   DSC00098.JPG_thumb (Size: 30.72 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-19-2004, 10:11 AM,
Part of that post with the picture was lost...
Basically you cannot assemle your whole kit on the net. Get out dive, make some fine tuning, in the lake, pool, or quarry. If you ask, several guys on here seem to dive every weekend I think you could find a buddy.
Throwing your new computer out would be foolish. From what I gather you are just diving recreationally a few times a year. Makes it pretty simple, enjoy have fun.
Octo Placement - just decide for yourself where and why you want it wherever. I would like to know why you don't want it on a neckless? Endulge me and I'll tell you why I do (not why you should) want mine on a neckless.
Well thats that.
12-19-2004, 10:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2004, 10:34 AM by dfreeman.)
Quote:

It helps a lot. How do you attach the snap to the console? How do you attach the bungee cord to the octo?
Quote:

I use 2 wire ties to attach the snap to the compressed end of the fitting on the hose. You can use nylon line or cave line from a reel or whatever attachment you like.

You can find a number of sites that have the attachment method for the necklace on the octo that describe this much better than I can. Perhaps the DIR guys on this site can furnish a link to a good example how to do this. Divbum shows one way to do this.

I will give you a few pictures to help. Here is a picture of the necklace with the overhand knots that form a loop to put the octo mouthpiece in.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Necklace_Bungee_-_1.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-19-2004, 10:23 AM,
Here is the whole loop.

.jpg_thumb   Necklace_Bungee_-_2.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-19-2004, 10:25 AM,
Here it is attached to the octo.

I hope this helps

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Necklace_Bungee_Attached_-_1.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-19-2004, 10:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2004, 10:34 AM by dfreeman.)
Doug and others too,
Why in the world would you not leave the long hose on your primary reg at all times? An airshare with a standard length hose and I would be waaaaay to close to you to be horizontal and comfortable. One of my favorite parts of the DIR System (that word is for Matt) is that I never have to move a hose around or change anything with my configuration from one dive to another.
Quote:

I use a regular hose at times since I have not found a long hose for my Sherwood Magnum which I like to use in tropical water. I have not found one due to my own laziness and cost. Hope to find one in the future.

Doug
12-19-2004, 03:07 PM,

I agree...but I'm just getting kitted up. I'm buying all new stuff and:
1) the LDS has a storewide sale going on
2) I'm going to Thailand in 2 weeks and I'd like to show up less of a stroke than I am now. Tongue

So I'd like to have some of my ducks in a row instead of letting things dangle on the reef, and try to reuse some of the items from their rental BC onto a BP/wing that I have yet to purchase.

As far as "finding my groove", it will have to wait. The drysuit isn't here yet, and it will be several months before any LDS's near me have a drysuit class. But come spring, I wouldn't mind hooking up with some of you guys.
12-19-2004, 04:52 PM,
Thailand is a great place to dive and this time of year, should be an easy place to dive. Where are you going?

The big step is BCD, computer, and regulator. Take your best shot. Some good advice has been given hear. Do not worry about stroke status in Thailand. I am sure that I have set the bar well above anything you could do there.

By the way, I feel that dry suit class is overrated. Getting out to dive the dry suit with some good divers is more important. None of the 7 or 8 divers that I dive with routinely in dry suits took the class.

Doug
12-20-2004, 01:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2004, 06:21 PM by jasondbaker.)
I agree Paul, that's a memorable quote. It is both fascinating and painful to watch new divers make the same decisions that we all made.

fishchaser, almost every computer can be mounted on the wrist. The console is just a plastic carrying case. You probably already have a simple pressure gauge mounted in your console. You are less than $50-100 away from a standard hogarthian rig. Your backplate and wing are designed for this configuration.
--Jason
12-20-2004, 09:33 AM,

You will also find that as you dive more, you won't need to look at your pressure gauge much. However, being able to see your depth and time is very important throughout the dive. If you are fumbling with a big console it will be difficult to remain horizontal in the water. You'll want to make this a proirity from the start. It is easier to learn the proper way first.