Remember me
Lost Password Register

Where/how to hang your gear on harness?
12-18-2004, 01:04 PM,
Where/how to hang your gear on harness?
So I've decided to get a wing/BP, but am unclear on where to hang everything. I'm not going the DIR way, and not using a 7' long hose. So, where and how do you hang/mount the following:

Octopus
Gauge console
Dive light (D8 size)
Spare (small) dive light
Camera
Wing inflator (where is obvious, but how?)
Safety sausage
Knife and/or shears

Do you like to use those coil cords in some applications? Retractors? Simple clips? If so, which application gets which type of attachment?

This may seem second nature to you guys/gals, but I've never seen anyone with a wing/BP. The other BCDs have a lot of D-rings and quick clips all over the place, plus pockets, etc. The options seem a little limited with the BP/wing harness. It seems like you'd have many things clipping to the same D-ring which can cause crowding and problems when tring to remove one item.
12-18-2004, 04:48 PM,
Re:Where/how to hang your gear on harness?
I'm not a DIR, but I like a lot of the ideas on the page below

12-18-2004, 09:46 PM,
Besides the spare air, it's difficult to see what's dangling, other than the octo's not on a necklace.

I check out both of those websites. Good stuff. Several of my questions are answered, except where to put the items that aren't DIR, such as the console and octo that isn't on a necklace.
12-18-2004, 09:51 PM,
Please explain?
12-18-2004, 11:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2004, 11:39 PM by fishchaser.)
Please explain?
[/quote]

I'm not selling the computer I just bought to buy a wrist mounted one. I'm not purchasing a timing device for the other wrist. I'm not swapping my console for a simple pressure gauge. And I'm not going to a 7' hose for my reg. At least not yet (the reg part, everything else is staying).

Quote:Several of my questions are answered, except where to put the items that aren't DIR, such as the console and octo that isn't on a necklace.
What I meant here is, where to put my items that aren't DIR. I didn't mean to imply there were things on those websites that weren't DIR.
12-19-2004, 01:29 AM,
Here is the way that I attach my console to the harness. The hose goes under the arm.

I use a regular length hose at times for my secondary. But I still put my octo on a necklace. My experience is that it is quicker to give the regulator in your mouth, or they take it from your mouth, anyway. The octo on the necklace is a lot easier to find.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Console_Attachment_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.54 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-19-2004, 07:16 AM,

It helps a lot. How do you attach the snap to the console? How do you attach the bungee cord to the octo?
12-19-2004, 08:28 AM,
If you take Greg (divbum) up on his offer to use the Halcyon gear I'm sure he'd be happy to help you sort it all out ;D. Use the "search" function on "The Deco Stop" (link below) to find out more about rigging gear (and anything else you probably want to know about diving). Most of it will be "DIR" but you will find what you need to on that site. Good Luck!
Matt

?
12-19-2004, 08:48 AM,

Doug and others too,
Why in the world would you not leave the long hose on your primary reg at all times? An airshare with a standard length hose and I would be waaaaay to close to you to be horizontal and comfortable. One of my favorite parts of the DIR System (that word is for Matt) is that I never have to move a hose around or change anything with my configuration from one dive to another.
12-19-2004, 09:13 AM,

Doug and others too,
Why in the world would you not leave the long hose on your primary reg at all times? An airshare with a standard length hose and I would be waaaaay to close to you to be horizontal and comfortable. One of my favorite parts of the DIR System (that word is for Matt) is that I never have to move a hose around or change anything with my configuration from one dive to another.
[/quote]

No doubt about it. The "system" works for some. Not necessary for all, as long as your configuration isn't "convoluted" :Smile.........