Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pyramids of Rock Lake
06-07-2003, 06:56 AM,
Re:Pyramids of Rock Lake
One last picture of Rock Lake, for now. Wink

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   ROCK_LAKE_SURFACE_PAN.jpg_thumb (Size: 11.92 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-11-2003, 12:38 PM,
An interesting article on Rock Lake that I found, it even has a picture of one of the underwater mounds, so they claim.

06-26-2003, 07:00 AM,
;D
Hello all you Badger divers, I just sort of stumbled across your WI forum site. I lived in Lake Mills for close to 15 years and used to teach scuba and of course dove Rock Lake many MANY times. I have met with and talked to the author of "The lost Pyramids of Rock Lake". Do not expect to find anything that resembles a true pyramid, what you will find is more like a pile of rocks. Dr. Boyd and a crew from the UM did extensive research on the matter, their side scan sonar was able to locate a few structures intact. Unfortunatly the intact "pyramids" are buried under the silt. The structures you can find however are the ice cream cones with the top broken off. They appear to be a ring of rock. If you locate an old map of the lake you will find that prior to being a lake there was a river (creek) the structures appear to follow the banks of this old creek. As far as I know there has never been any concrete evidence these are man made. I can tell you also that there is a rock mound in about 30 feet of water and must have some lode stone in it, your compass will do tricks when near this mound.
While teaching in the lake I ran into battles with the local lake patrol, swimming in the lake from a boat was prohibited and they included diving as swimming. I doubt much has changed and week ends are best avoided due to heavy boat traffic. Shore diving is tough since getting to deep water is a chore. There are many artifacts in the lake, for years ice was harvested on Rock Lake. The old ice house was located on the South end of the lake and if you sift through the silt you often will find tools and things dropped into the lake from that period of time. I have a nice bottle collection from Rock as well. Man made or not, the rock structures are interesting. At one time there was even a film crew from Unsolved Mysteries on the lake but I don't know if it ever aired.

Have a great dive, Greg. Former Pyramid Scuba.
06-26-2003, 07:41 AM,
Wow TN! thanks for all the great background ;D
and for the warnings regarding access and what we'll probably actually see :'(
I'm curious, how did you find this discussion going on? I'm presuming from your screenname that you're now in Tennasee.
It's great to see this board getting more divers from further away.
06-26-2003, 07:54 AM,
Definitely, thanks for the Info. I have to admit, I still kinda want to go see for myself.
06-27-2003, 11:28 AM,
:Smile
Over the years I have been WIDiver, PADiver and now TNDiver. GO PACKERS!!!

I found this web site while looking around for info on Playa Del, heading down in a couple of weeks.

I did my IDC with 3LD, Great group of folks up there. I don't instruct anymore but love the sport no less.

Not a great deal of diving here in TN, I am in west TN Memphis area but there are a few sites. Just too close to the Mississippi so most of the water is pure murk.

I think I did see Diving Elvis on one occasion though.. Wink
07-05-2003, 05:21 PM,
Hate to burst your bubble on the famous Rock Lake Pyramids, but... you'd have better luck finding the Loch Ness Monster. There ain't any pyramids down there. This is a story that's been around for years, and the locals love to keep it going. You'll even hear people say "I've flown over the lake and seen them from the air!" Sorry. Lots of bluegills, but that's about it.
07-07-2003, 05:59 AM,
Sorry to hear that...I know we've all kind of had our hopes up here.

Well, we can still do a trip this winter out to the lake and see what there is to see.
03-27-2004, 02:56 PM,
Rock Lake is wide open and the vis looks to be at least 20' right now.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   rock_lake_march_2004.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.05 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-27-2004, 04:39 PM,
Anyone up for checking it out???