Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pyramids of Rock Lake
04-13-2003, 02:02 PM,
Pyramids of Rock Lake
I am interested in diving the pyramids that are in Rock lake. Has anyone dove in Rock lake? I have tried to contact the Rock Lake Research Society last year to get the GPS co-ordinates without success. Does anyone have the GPS co-ordinates or know if the Pyramids are marked by bouys?

Thanks,

Derrick
04-13-2003, 03:43 PM,
Re:Pyramids of Rock Lake
I am really interested in these pyramids also. Heard some much about them, I would like to see them. Let me know by posting here where these things are and how you get there.

Doug
04-13-2003, 06:41 PM,
I dove them about 12 years ago. THey are mostly rock piles onthe bottom. Nothingis marked and not much to see.

The lake itself is pretty much of a mess. My dive buddy and I were freediving in there last fall and we couldn't even see to the end of our spearguns. The bottom was a very soft mud/silt mixture.

The lake is infested with Euroasian milfoil which has been accelerated by the carp population.

If you really want to dive it try contacting Dr. Richard Boyd at Global Manufacturing in Milwaukee. He has done some research into it and might have numbers for you.

One of the people that had done a lot of side scanning in there, Clark Willick, died last year. I don't know what happened to his documentation. There are a few books out on the subject. They start off normal, but kind of go off into left field by the end.

Hope this helps,

Jon
04-14-2003, 08:41 AM,
:o
I've been thinking about Rock Lake for the past two years and was wondering if doing it as ice dives would help cut down on the mess.
I know it's small and river-fed, and as a result a huge silt field covers the bottom. Has anybody tried ice diving for the pyramids? I'd love to get a big expedition team together and really hit it this coming winter if anyone is interested.
BTW: I tried contacting the Rock Lake research team and got nowhere, I was just hit up for cash. Sad
04-15-2003, 06:48 AM,
Jon, Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in touch with Dr. Richard Boyd.

Scubert, if we find out the locations, I would love to ice dive the pyramids for a chance of at better vis.

Is there a scuba shop near Rock Lake that may have more info?

Derrick
04-15-2003, 09:21 AM,
Sorry, no dive shops around these parts that know anything about anything.

Jon
04-15-2003, 09:59 AM,
Atlantis in Wisconsin
the book titled "Atlantis in Wisconsin" has some information on the history and current research on the pyramids, however it veers quickly into pseudo-science and absurdism. There is a map in the book that might be useful for trying to plot the actual locations of the structures. If the book map were superimposed on a fishing map of the lake (which is available online) you would probably have a pretty accurate guide. It would not be accurate enough for ice diving without prior verification and GPS plotting, but would be a start. I just can't bring myself to buy the book, fearing I'll have to start preparing for the silver saucer people (you'll know what I mean if you read it)
04-15-2003, 11:34 AM,
That's the book that Iwas talking about.

Jon
04-15-2003, 11:49 AM,

Have scientists verified that these structures are actually man-made?
--Jason
04-15-2003, 11:52 AM,
Woohoo! that one is a real doozie :Smile
The pyramids appear in a few other publications, usually as minor mentions. I wish that there was a more scientific book on the area, one that I didn't feel like a wacko for buying.