Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pyramids of Rock Lake
06-05-2003, 08:06 PM,
Re:Pyramids of Rock Lake
I tried the Falco, and it's okay. My problem is a lot of masks leak on me, either right at the corner of the eyes (most) or at the triangle formed by the nose and the corners of the mouth (Falco) [probably my big, square, german head]. I was hoping to find a Mares Target or similar, since every Mares mask I've ever tried fits very well.
06-05-2003, 08:07 PM,
Interesting looking setup - what is that covering your face?
06-05-2003, 08:53 PM,
I have a very round, melon shaped Wink, head that fits the Aqualung masks very well.

I know of no one around who is carrying the Mares line since most of their stuff is now sold through catalogs and the internet.

I can recommend a good mask that has a different fit. It is made by Cressi sub and is called the "Minima". I bought one to use for deeper freedivng, but it tends to leak a little bit if swim too fast- like when I wear my monofin.

In the picutre I am freedivng in the ice and am wearing a Henderson "ice cap" under my regular wetsuit hood. I don't wear this in the summer, but it was the only good photo I had of my Falco.

BTW: The Falco and the Sphera have the excat same mask skirt, just different lenses.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Jon_Wazze_small_jpeg.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.48 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-05-2003, 08:58 PM,

Jon,
What do you do with the carp after you spear them? Food, or fertilizer? Just curious. The Timmerman Plaza Pick N Save actually SELLS carp in the deli. :-\
06-05-2003, 09:03 PM,
One of the ladies that plays underwater hockey with us has a special grill that she smokes them on.

They wouldn't be too bad for your garden. Wink

My grandfather actually had my grandma "Pickel" one for him that he ate this past winter. Sounded pretty nasty to me, but I guess if you grew up during the Great Depression you can eat anything. :-X

Jon
06-05-2003, 09:07 PM,
I've heard carp are quite good smoked if you can get past the fact that they are carp ;D Have you tried them?

Where do you play underwater hockey...if you can hold your breath almost 5 minutes, can I be on your team? I haven't played since colllege, 8-9 years ago, so I'm almost certain I would die.
06-05-2003, 09:08 PM,
Pickled fish can be very good. Was somewhat popular when I worked at Niagara in the 80's. Great for Northern Pike as the brine dissolves the bones and leaves only the tasty meat. Big Grin

Perhaps the depression was still on in Niagara.

Doug
06-05-2003, 09:27 PM,
I have heard of people eating pickled northern before, but I never developed a taste for it.

We play hockey all winter long with the FOUR LAKES SCUBA club in Madison. We are done for this season, but we should start up again in September. IT is a great work out and we always play at least once a week, sometimes twice.

I know that we get people from Milwaukee and Rockford to join us on a regular basis. Ruimour had it that a dive shop in Milwaukee was going to start up a leauge this winter- we'll see if it acutally happens before I say who. Wink

Holding your breath is a wild thing. It is one thing to just lay on the surface adn do a 5 minute breath hold and quite another to be pushing a puck around at full speed with only 10-15 seconds on the surface to catch your breath. I think that most of my breath holds in underwater hockey are less than 30 seconds!

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   HOCKEY.jpg_thumb (Size: 45.14 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-05-2003, 10:37 PM,
Sounds like a lot of fun, that underater hockey.

My grandfather had a recipe for pickled northern - it was excellent. His recipe had a very similar taste to the commercial pickled herrings you could by, just a little bit spicier, if you can understand what I mean by that. It was a great way to enjoy northern, for as Doug says it softens the bones to the point where one can not even tell they are there.
06-06-2003, 10:44 PM,
Good eats that!

Doug