Pyramids of Rock Lake
05-20-2003, 09:45 PM,
Re:Pyramids of Rock Lake
thanks again Jon.
Just emailed Mark K. Hopefully he's got 'em and is willing to share. Smile
s.
06-05-2003, 06:25 AM,
I spent almost 5 hours in Rock lake last night spearfishing and freediving with a couple of friends.

The vis was a hazy 10' and the water was around 61 degrees. There was a lot of boat traffic from all of the water skiers on there. We stayed a little bit closer into shore as a result, plus that's where the fish are. Wink Our max depth was only about 20' since we couldn't get to he deeper water. Last fall when we went spearing out there we didn't see a single fish past 20' . I think that we had gotten down to about 35' on that day. As I remember the pyramids were around 45', but we also weren't in the right part of the lake to even go looking for them.

I'll post some pictures later on tonight.

Jon
06-05-2003, 07:07 AM,
You get around a lot, don't you? =)

10 feet of viz isn't that bad honestly...if we were to do that during an ice dive, we should have halfway decent visibility on that lake.
06-05-2003, 08:13 AM,

Not as much as I used to. :'(

When I lived in Milwaukee I dove 5 days a week in the summer and once or twice a week all winter long- almost ALL of it in Lake Michigan.

Now that I live in Madison, and have a new baby at home ;D, I am lucky to get out once a week.

Jon
06-05-2003, 04:14 PM,
Some of the lake has a rock bottom to it in the shallows.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   rock_lake_rocks.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.34 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-05-2003, 04:16 PM,
The rest of it is really silty and has this "Eurasian Milfoil" weed all over it.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   rock_lake_bottom.jpg_thumb (Size: 18.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-05-2003, 04:18 PM,
There are lots of nice fish in the weeds. It seems like there are bass everywhere, which are illegal to spear!

There are also some nice crappie, rock bass, blue gill and I saw at least three garfish- sorry, but I had my gun in my hand and not my camera. :'(

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ted_bass1.jpg_thumb (Size: 18.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-05-2003, 04:19 PM,
Oh, and there are a few big carp in there as well. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ted_carp1.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.37 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-05-2003, 04:56 PM,
Hey Jon,
this is kind of off topic, but are you aware of anyone in the Milwaukee area who might have a freediving/spearfishing mask on hand for sale?
I'm looking for a superlow volume mask like the Mares Target or Omersubs Abyss and having ZERO luck finding one to try on.
thanks,
scubert
06-05-2003, 07:27 PM,
I have switched to using an Aqualung "Falco" for spearfishing and underwater hockey and an Aquasphere "Sphera" for deep freediving.

I know for sure that both Pirate's Cove and Deep Blue have them in stock.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   jon_ninja.jpg_thumb (Size: 22 KB / Downloads: 0)