Remember me
Lost Password Register

Milwaukee accident
08-30-2011, 03:10 PM,
Re: Milwaukee accident
Wow! And glad everyone is ok... I too have been out with Ralph a couple years ago and had a great trip, wouldn't hesitate a second to go again.  Have to stop and consider that they were tied up to dive a "shipwreck", which through some tradgedy lay at the bottom (very few of them are intentionally sunk).  We seek adventure and accept some risk with scuba diving, and I hope everyone can look back someday with a sense of adventure and a story to tell... This lake is very unpredictable and big and small boats are caught off guard, then and now.  In hindsight it is always easy to judge a captains decision, but when I wear those pants and consider the lousy weather reports...sometimes its a flip of the coin to go or no go.  I know I cross my fingers each time I go out.

Ron   
08-30-2011, 06:30 PM,
I too have been on Ralph's boat many times.  But that was all in good weather.  I think I will only go out in good weather in the future. 

Apparently a good deal of equipment has been found.  Don't know the condition.  I'm not sure what condition Ralph's boat is in.

Diver's should not be intimidated by the captain.  If there is a consensus that it isn't safe, they should call the dive.  Usually, the captain is more conservative than the divers, but that's not always the case.
08-30-2011, 07:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM by moneysavr.)
MKE
I see all or most equipment has been found!
Great job!
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM,
I sit here and read what a couple people have written and just shake my head. You couldn't have a more professional, safety minded captain than Ralph. He has been doing this a long time and has a prefect record. I have dove with him many times and couldn't ask for better service. There aren't many that are as accommodating as Divers Delight. This is a lake that you can go out and jump in with perfect weather and come up to 4 or 5 footers. "Some" people need to realize that there IS risk involved in diving and this Lake, and not try to blame the charter Captains when things don't go the way things are planned. Count your blessing that it was this boat that can not sink and has the safety equipment such as an epribs. I know or a fat that there are some where help wouldn't have been notified as quickly.

I do understand all equipment has been brought up, even the stuff that most divers don't take on the boats. Kudos to Divers Delight!

08-31-2011, 02:02 PM,
Its pretty easy to kick a person when their down. Personal attacks and cheap shots all are part of it.
I see that most of the comments were deleted.
One thing that I learned in this life is that everyone has their turn in the barrel.
Adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble. <br />Nobody over eighteen in his right mind looks for it.
08-31-2011, 06:05 PM,
This from the Ozaukee Press:

08-31-2011, 07:07 PM,
Found this on Facebook:

08-31-2011, 08:13 PM,
Is it normal for the distress signal to be that far off?  "About a mile off"?  I don't know, just asking a question.
08-31-2011, 08:17 PM,
I don't know either.  I would think that GPS is more accurate than that as well.
08-31-2011, 08:40 PM,
I think it has to do with satellite signals being triangulated and stuff like that.  That's why he got a call from New Orleans, and his wife got a call from Cleveland.