Remember me
Lost Password Register

Newb...looking for a Dive Computer
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM,
Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer
Sounds like a plan. Suunto and Uwatec both make good stuff. I'm sure you will like the ease of using a computer when you get it figured out.
12-16-2010, 01:14 PM,

that's what I thought they would teach us...but our instructor pushed the computer over the tables. More accurate and reduces that chance of human error from miscalculation. We were given the tables and wheels, but didn't go over them a whole lot.

Maybe I'll just give in and purchase a computer, so I don't have to rely on the tables when in Mexico. i don't think I fully trust myself relying on something I wasn't fully trained on. better be safe than sorry.

then again...it's just a two-tank dive...so I imagine using the tables wouldn't be that difficult. I'll just have to worry about one dive with residual Nitrogen in my system.
[/quote]

Where were you trained????????????????????????????????????????
[/quote]

LOL...Underwater Connection in West Allis (WI).

We were actually given homework assignments to read through all the materials and answer questions. There was one section on dive tables...I tried figuring them out at home before the class started. But when it came time to go over the answers in class, they hardly touched on that subject. So that's why I figured these tables are obsolete now.....hence my need for a computer  Wink
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM,
Tables aren't obsolete...Some day you may have a computer fail on you.  Have a back-up method like a watch with a rotating bezel so you can actually see how long you have been down so you can work the tables and do repetitive dives. 

I just bought a Suunto D4 computer and haven't gotten it "wet" yet.  I also bought an older dive computer from another diver several years ago.  Check around on this site, the MNSCUBA site and other forums to see if you can find a good used computer. 

Good Luck!
I love to go down with other divers!
12-16-2010, 04:29 PM,

That's exactly what I've been doing. I've been searching Ebay, cragislist, this site, etc...

I'm looking to save a little money by purchasing a used one.

Thanks
12-17-2010, 07:49 PM,
We had to learn the tables before we could start discussing computers.  Learning the tables, IMHO, is a MUST when becoming certified.  I have only been certified for three years now
12-26-2010, 12:52 AM,
Using the tables gives you a good background of the workings of the dive computer and a bases to work from when working with the computer.  It is worth knowing the tables.  I use this background information even today and I have been using a computer for 10 years.
01-01-2011, 06:56 AM,
I dove with the tables for over 60 dives before I broke and purchased a computer. I have a uwatec prime II and had zero problems with it. I purchased the basic Prime for my lady. The differance between them is the ability to add a second gas into the plan or not. I belive I spent $250.00 on my wifes computer. I was also not fully taught the tables and really did not have a good feel for them for some time. I knew that if I stayed above a specific depth and below a specific time then there was not an issue of hitting your NDL. By using the tables you learn where the limita are at, this makes planning your dives much easier to plan. My gear priority was life support stuff first, mask/ snorkle/ fins, REG, BC, Thermal Protection, Weight belt, TANK. After all of that was aquired then I pucked up my computer. The best class I ever took during this was Nitrox user (sorry cant remember the right name for it) it forced you to use the tables to figure out your equivlent mix numbers. This is how I learned to dive with the tables. Maybe spend your cash there instead of a computer.
01-01-2011, 06:57 AM,
wow... I guess I shouldnt type when I first wake up!!
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM,
Thanks for the suggestions. I gave in and purchased a used Suunto Gekko a few weeks ago for about $130. However, before I go on my first dive in April, I'll be sure to get an understanding of the dive tables.