wiscuba.com
Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer (/showthread.php?tid=2359)

Pages: 1 2 3

Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - firstbreath - 12-09-2010

Hello,

I just received my ceritifcation a few months ago...i'm not ready to buy everything as of yet, I'll probably just rent until i get comfortable.

but one thing I am looking to invest in is a dive computer. I found a couple of Suunto Gekko computers for around $150-$200...i'm really not wanting to spend much more than that. Is this a computer worth buying? and for that price?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - matt t. - 12-10-2010

I've never owned the Gekko, but it appears to be a decent inexpensive computer. I have owned other Suunto products and they have been trouble free. With any new diver my advice is to look ahead at what you want to be doing in the next few years and buy gear with that in mind. Most of us that have been diving for a while have been through several sets of gear and wasted way to much money.

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - jeffberry - 12-10-2010

Like Matt said WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY tooo much!

It's funny, after posting this morning I was thinking of all of the stuff (while I was grocery shopping) I thought I was never going to need (or want  Wink). Now I have all of that stuff and 5X more. Be honest with yourself when you are looking at gear. It may cost more initially, but in the long run it's cheaper.

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - firstbreath - 12-10-2010

Like Matt said WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY tooo much!
[/quote]

So that is a good computer to get? at that price? I'll probably only dive a handful of times a year.

Is it right to assume, the dive computer is the first thing you would want to invest in as a new diver?

Everyone has different priorities, but as a new diver I wanted (and got) my own reg first. Then I bought my own wetsuit (why swim in someone else's pee?) and b.c. A computer was really one of the last things I bought (for my 1st rig). If you really only plan to dive a handful of times a year, don't buy anything. Rent it all and return it when you are done. No storage, no maintenance, and no depreciation.

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - Chris H - 12-10-2010

Yeah, I remember thinking that I wouldn't likely need to buy my own tank.  I have 23ish now...

Like the others have said, give serious thought to what you might want to do in the future and make your decisions based on that.

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - firstbreath - 12-13-2010

really!?!?  I thought you almost HAD to buy a dive computer before your first dive. So I can just use the rental they have there on site...rather than having to supply my own one?

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - mp4 - 12-13-2010

Dive computers are real handy if you are doing multiple dives in deeper water but if your staying on the warm and shallow side they're mostly just a gee wiz neat gadget.  My personal experience - most of my diving is in 30 feet or less which renders a dive computer hardly necessary at all and thats where I spent most of my time the first year or so.  I have a really cool gee wiz gadget now though... ;D

A BC would be top on my list of things to purchase first - as an entry level diver most regulators all pretty much breath the same (this will change in time) and as for wetsuits...you may want to dive for a while before you select one and figure out what type of diving you want to do.

Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer - dwitt2n - 12-13-2010

...I would agree with all that's been shared...for me - the computer was one of the last 'big' pieces of equipment I purchased. I opted to buy my own regs and BC's first ...my rationale being these pieces were most important in learning how to dive safely and confidently. My suggestion is do your research, ask other divers, buy from a local dive shop, and don't go cheap. Your placing your life as well other divers in the hands of the equipment your going to use. Good luck....dive safe....