Remember me
Lost Password Register

Video Camera housing frustrations $$$
04-07-2003, 04:28 PM,
Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$
No, these were Sea and Sea MMII's. I understand that if you change out the o-rings on Nikonos's you can take them down to over 300'.

My best guess on a lens would be to look at the Sea&sea lenses that are made for Nikonos. They make screw on ones that will fit onto the standard 35mm Nikonos lens and they also make actual lenses that will fit into the camera for a lot less money than a Nikkor lens. Sea&sea also makes a coveted 12mm rectilinear lens with no fisheye effect AND it's cheaper than a Nikkor 15mm lens. ;D

You could also try and look into an "Aqualens" that is sold through HELIX photo in Chicago. It is an underwater lens housing for your land camera lenses.

I don't know how much money I would invest into a Nikonos camera anymore. Nikon has stopped making them and they won't even have repair parts in another year or two. I will no longer spend any money on my film cameras since I went to digital. Digital cameras allow you to do SO much more than a regular film camera can. I think that my digital camera will pay for itself in about a year just because of the money I have saved in film developing costs. 8)

Also check E-bay and the HELIX used underwater photo site. IF you want to buy new I would look at B+H photo. I buy my 35mm film from them in bulk and have also purchased replacement sync cords and other things form them.

I hope tht helps,

Jon
04-08-2003, 02:07 PM,
Over the weekend I received the Equinox housing for the Canon Digital camcorder I bought. They make a nice housing. I can see where electronic controls would be nice, but I can be happy with mechanical. The nice thing is if I want another control, and it's accessible, I can have it for $75. An example is manual focus. The button is on the back of the camera. I talked to Equinox and they have already done a housing for the same Canon with manual focus and exposure adjustment. Those are about the only other controls I would want. As it is, I have power, zoom, record, tape/memory card and photo.

The other nice thing about them is that they are in Michigan. When I was talking about the conditions that I will use the camera in, they understood.

JoelW
04-19-2003, 05:35 AM,
Several of you have mentioned the Equinox brand of housing. I checked their website ( ) and they have a video housing that looks very interesting to me. Also, they promote some lighting and accessory systems that I have used and they are exactly right about the versitility and price effectiveness of these systems.

My question is, What has been your experience with these housings, how long have you had them, how was the service from Equinox. Want to get some background before I step off another $3,000 ledge. :-*

Thanks

Doug
04-19-2003, 09:56 AM,
I have had mine about 3 weeks now. I thought that they were great to deal with. They understood what I was wanting and made suggestions that were helpful. I mentioned that I may be adding a control or two in the future and was told to send it in at the end of the week and they thought that they could get it back out at the beginning of the next week. The weekend I ordered mine was when Beneath the Sea was happening out east. They gave me the show discount which I thought was pretty nice.

I know someone local who has used their domes on other housings and he is pretty impressed with them.

JoelW
04-19-2003, 07:04 PM,
JoelW

Sounds great, will keep in touch as I look to a potential future purchase.

Doug
06-02-2003, 08:34 AM,
Here is an extended question to housings. For those doing video what editing software are you using. I am using Pinnacle DV Studio but and thinking of picking up Vegas Video 4 for the better ability to color correct the green water around here as well as other features

JoelW