wiscuba.com
Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ (/showthread.php?tid=23)

Pages: 1 2

Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - freediverND - 03-23-2003

Why are video camera housings so much $$$??!!! Is there any out there that don't cost twice as much as the camera? I've looked at many popular brands and unless I'm missing something there aren't too many (or any??) under $600... mostly over $800. What about this Jellow Jacket... kinda a kit thing.. anyone know anything about those, or anything else that might be reasonably priced and at the same time good quality?
And then the kicker, seems not to many housings are compatible with my Sony TRV 130.. Apparently it's right what they say.... check into the housings first and then check into the camera. Wish I'd a known.
Fred

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - FreediveWI - 03-23-2003

Fred,

You might want to check out "TOP DAWG" camera housings. They are made by Light and Motion,but much more generic in terms of cameras that they fit- and 1/2 the price of a regular Light and Motion housing.

Jon

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - jasondbaker - 03-23-2003

Fred, if you really have some time on your hands you could check out:

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - freediverND - 03-24-2003

Jon, I had e-mailed Top Dawg a few weeks ago, their reply was I need to have an LANC input to be compatible with their housings. Don't have LANC, wish I did because that would make the housing compatible with many, many cameras. The one think I should have looked for when I bought the camera some time ago, an LANC input.
Jason, that homemade housing looks great, but I'm sure if I was to attempt it, it would look not so great. He sure did a good job on it though.. I may contact him.
Fred

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - dfreeman - 04-06-2003

I have looked at digial and video camera housings an for2 years and have come to some conclusions.

Do not go cheap or with a poor design or it will flood.

Check out if a reasonable housing exists before buying the camera if you want to use it underwater.

A lot of housings can handle many other brands of camera but the manufacturors will not tell you about the successful conversions. Propably because they were done by others.

A $1000 is typical for digital cameras. Video camera housings can easily go for as much as $3000.

Shop shop shop

I have gotten a housing and camera that does the job. Have only had to get it serviced for defects 3 times. Reputable outfit that stood by their product each time.

Brand new design with teething pains but not unusual.

Good luck on your search. Stick to the name brands like:

Amphibico
Gates
Light and Motion
Ikelite

And a few others.

Doug

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - FreediveWI - 04-06-2003

I picked up an Olympus C5050-Z for around $650- $800 in the local camera shops.

I also bought an Olympus housing for $295, but I just saw on the digital-diver site that someone is now selling them for $150!

I put in a 512mb CF card that I bought NEW off of E-bay for $150. THis allows me to do 30 minutes of video, or a lot of stills. I can hardly wait to try out the panoramic function on the shipwrecks.

You'll also find that most cameras and housings will go much deeper than they are rated for, but don't come to me if you load it wrong and flood it. Wink

I have a couple of film cameras that are rated to only 160' and I have had them down to 220' without any problems.

There are so many good camera systems out there that make taking pictures very easy now days. Add to that the great vis that we now enjoy in Lake Michigan and I don't know why everyone doesn't dive with a camera.

Jon

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - freediverND - 04-07-2003

The folks over at equinox have quoted me a price of $825 for a video housing for my sony..seems to be the best price so far. That enables 3 controls, on/off, zoom, record. Does a person need manual focus?
For about the same price less travel, I can take an IANTD Freediving Instructor Course. What to do? I think I'd rather take the course for now.
Thanks for the lead on Equinox. Who knows, maybe my ship will come in.... I just hope it's not the Titanic.
Fred

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - FreediveWI - 04-07-2003

Where are you going to take the freediving instructor course? I emailed Tom Mount, president of IANTD, over a month ago and he never got back to me.

Divetech in Cayman is the only place that I know of who teaches it. I looked into it but whant to push my PB down to 120', from 105', to get their master instructor rating- goals for the summertime. ;D

Have you looked into Kirk's clinic yet? You could drive to Maimi and take it like I did a couple of years ago. That would be cheaper than Cayman and you could get the housing too. No instructor rating, but we don't need c-cards for freediving anyhow- just knowledge. I have stacks of c-cards and instructor ratings, but I learned more in one week with him than in any rec or tec class that I have ever taken in scubadiving- and that includes a 2 month long IDC that I did at PADI headquarters almost 20 years ago. It's really worth the money.

MAke sure that the housing is small enough to freedive with. I have used big camera systems while freediving and almost had to leave them at the bottom. A nice small unit is really worthwhile when it comes to freediving.

Jon

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - freediverND - 04-07-2003

Jon,
I replied in "off topic discussions"
Fred

Re:Video Camera housing frustrations $$$ - Swimjim - 04-07-2003

FREEDIVEWI

I have a couple of film cameras that are rated to only 160' and I have had them down to 220' without any problems.

Are you refering to Nikonos cameras here. Just curious. Also, Any tips on finding a wide angle lense for a nikonos(15 - 20mm) without taking out a mortgage. Note; I don't particularly trust e-bay. Comes with being an old man I guess.

Tanks

Jim