Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anybody Diving this Weekend
03-27-2004, 02:01 PM,
Re:Anybody Diving this Weekend
I just did a big driving tour, and finally got in the water. ;D

I started out at Rock Lake, which looked very clear, but kept on driving to see if I could find some deeper water.

Next on my stop was Lake Nagawicka, which also looked very clear, so I thought I'd give Lannon Quarry a try since I was this close to it. When I got there I was very disappointed. :'( The place looks awful. It's the same muddy brown color as the Madison lakes so I didn't even bother jumping in. 10-20 years ago this place used to be really nice to dive, now it's full of Eurasian Milfoil and the vis is pretty dismal-Waukesha County should be embarrassed to charge people to dive there!

So, I went back to Nagawicka and dove there. Visibility was an easy 20’-25’ and I stayed very warm in my new Elios wetsuit- in the 40-degree water for well over 2 hours and never got cold. Only saw 2 crayfish the whole time- all of the others must still be pelagic at this point since there's no thermocline right now.

I hope other s got wet this weekend as well.

Jon
03-27-2004, 03:10 PM,
nagawicka, the viz was 20- 25ft? wow, last time i was there i ran into the bottom face first. viz was nothing. were did you dive from? the beach by the boat launch? maybe its worth a dive next weekend..
03-27-2004, 03:34 PM,
I dove from both.

The first time I jumped in by the beach and swam around to the boat launch. Then, I swiched over to my monofin and launched off the beach again to swim in the other direction for a while.

It really was the best vis I could find this mornining. I didn't see any real fish, so left my speargun in the car, but I did see two small crayfish.

Here's the bottom at around 40'

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Nagawicka_lake_bottom_04.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.24 KB / Downloads: 0)