Remember me
Lost Password Register

Fortune Pond Trash
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM,
Re: Fortune Pond Trash
Are you one of the garbage dumpers?
03-09-2010, 10:48 AM,
Your right diving is supposed to be fun!   But toilets an laptops really don't belong in the water.  Fortune pond is a very nice place.  I for one don't want to dive in a dump!  I could maybe go to Wazee for that.  There is a trail of neat things in there however I don't think a toilet should be one of them.   As far as the name thing goes you couldn't be further from the truth. conservation is what its all about! people like to swim in good vis!  I love clean water!  I also like swimming in a place that you don't have to pay for.  If Michigan DNR had to clean it out Do you think we would have a spot like that?  Almost every dive I have made there this year I have brought something up an disposed of it properly! tape cans bottles. IT is getting bad.  

03-09-2010, 11:09 AM,
I agree with that.  Trash is the for the landfills, not the pool.

03-09-2010, 05:54 PM,
The most popular dive training lake in this region (Square lake) has a toilet in it.  The toilet is on one of the training platforms.  I dunno. I guess it never bothered me.

I seem to recall a similar conversation thread related to Wazee a few years ago.  Someone took it upon themselves to do a little house cleaning and remove many of the items. I can see both sides of the argument and I'm not loosing sleep over it either way.

I guess if you put junk in a body of water you should accept the fact that someone may remove it in the future. 
--Jason
03-09-2010, 07:39 PM,
Wow, put a concrete skull in 10 years ago and I'm a garbage dumper with a sock puppet opinion and the Scuba Cops after me.  I've pulled as much garbage out of the Pond as any of you.  The fishermen and "locals" deposit it, not the divers.  But I see if an opposing opinion is posted, Matt t resorts to name calling and threats.  The point is that many divers have placed something down there over many years, and all have remained with many, many divers diving there.  But since you find it offensive they must be removed.
And it sounds like the toilet is hearsay.  Ten years ago there was a plastic toilet seat on the edge with a sticker that said "Divers do it deeper".  It was removed  that same year.  Has anyone actually seen said toilet?

Where were you guys when the DNR decided to make it into a trout fishery?  It was "way too clean" to support trout, so by dumping truckloads of yellow yeast into it they took visibility from almost limitless to 30 ft or less and clean rock sides to everything being covered in brown algae.  Oh wait, you were probably still in diapers and wouldn't have been able to see it when it was truly clear.  The DNR has done more to destroy the diving conditions there than any divers or the things they've put in.  And, thanks to the Lake Michigan divers, with the introduction of the zebra mussels the visibility is again very good.  Until they die.
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM,

Greg,

This is becoming a little ridiculous. The only reason that you have been referred to as a "sock puppet" is because you did not put your name to your thread on here and there are some forums that have ghost accounts in which people post without claiming who they are.

I have not seen the toilet personally, but I have heard from a couple different people that it is in there. The Wausau store was there this past weekend or the weekend before doing an ice dive, if there is anyone who has seen it and was there please confirm this info.

I am not trying to claim ownership of anything, I am simply attempting to keep one of the best spots in the area clean and diveable. The MDNR is not for diving at the Pond and any reason (such as trash) they have to close it down, I don't doubt they will.

I was not diving at the time that the MDNR decided to make it into a trout fishing spot and can't comment about anything that may have happened then, but to start with talk of people still being in "diapers" is uncalled for. Greg, there is a combined number of years on this board for diving that would number into the thousands, so trying to imply that someone is unqualified to comment on this subjest would be wrong to say. Some of us were not diving at the time yes, but others have credentials that put most of us to shame and log books that stack higher than most people stand.

I have not started this post to fire up anyone or create waves on the board. I have only started this post to make people aware of what is going on in one of our favorite dive spots and that there needs to be an effort to clean it out and keep it clean.

I am not aware if a permit was acquired to put the platform in and was not around when it was put into the pond, therefore, I will not be taking it out and can not comment on it being in there.

I am most surprised that we are talking about things that shouldn't matter at all and not talking about the conservation of our diving spots. There are two sides to everything, but the facts are that there is trash in the Fortune pond, it should be cleaned out, dumping anything in a lake or on land is illegal, and we are doing something positive about it. Hopefully with this effort we will be able to keep the pond clean and avoid any issues such as this one in the future. I will still be looking for help when I post a date. Thank you to those of you who have offered yourself already.

Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
03-09-2010, 08:22 PM,
Point out where I called anyone a name or made threats. If you haven't done anything wrong then you don't have anything to worry about. Worried?
03-10-2010, 07:41 AM,
The simple point is, I can respect "Greg Dallman's" Opinion more then someone that started a new account and cannot sign there name.  Most find it much easier to rant about people anonymously.  And some start new accounts just to attack individuals, when they can remain anonymous.
03-10-2010, 07:58 AM,
Mike knows who I am.  I think he also knows I'm as passionate about the Pond as the rest of you.  To you Mike, I apologize for the diaper comment.  It was meant to show that some of us have been diving there for a long time.  I didn't put many of the things down there, but I guess most never bothered me.  With a whole quarry to dive, one corner with extra stuff seems ok to me.  Plus it gives instructors something fun to show their new Advanced divers.  And I did talk to the DNR about their plans for the Pond.  But one man's voice wasn't heard.
I'm all for cleaning up the place, but maybe reconsider a few of the "extras".

My 2 cents worth.

Matt t:  Reply #8, reply #10, reply #16.  I'm shakin'
03-10-2010, 08:45 AM,
They make medication for that.