Remember me
Lost Password Register

CCR Day??
08-22-2009, 03:52 PM,
Re: CCR Day??
Keith and I will be there.  I have a class to teach early, but was hoping to meet some of you all later in the day.  I am bringing my KISS and letting Keith try out my tricked out sidemount Copis from SMRebreathers.com.  Although I've had the unit since December, I am just back from 3 weeks in Mexico with it- it performed beyond my wildest expectations!!  Was able to do a crazy amount of exploration and survey in the cenotes!
08-22-2009, 07:40 PM,
I will be up there around 11-1130.  Tami, what area are you and Keith diving at?
08-23-2009, 06:10 AM,

Likely Shorewood.  Should be there by 10.  I am bringing lots of cake.  I am on birthday cake #4. Please find me and help me eat it....
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM,

Likely Shorewood.  Should be there by 10.  I am bringing lots of cake.  I am on birthday cake #4. Please find me and help me eat it....
[/quote]

Had a good time diving with all of you on Sunday, thanks for letting me tag along diving and also for the post dive cake extravaganza.  I had a pretty good sugar buzz all the way home.  ;D
08-25-2009, 11:07 AM,

[/quote]

Had a good time diving with all of you on Sunday, thanks for letting me tag along diving and also for the post dive cake extravaganza.  I had a pretty good sugar buzz all the way home.  ;D
[/quote]
As good as your "Sparks" buzz?
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM,

They changed the formula, at the request of the FDA, to help kill the buzz.  Todd is a prime example of why caffeine is no longer an ingredient in Sparks.

I still have a few cans of the good stuff.
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM,

They changed the formula, at the request of the FDA, to help kill the buzz.  Todd is a prime example of why caffeine is no longer an ingredient in Sparks.

[/quote]

That stuff was just plain wicked....3 days later I started to feel normal again...
08-26-2009, 11:42 AM,
[/quote]

It actually wasn't done at the request of the FDA, but rather because Miller voluntarily bowed to pressure from the Center for Science in the Public Interest and a bunch of state Attorneys General who were suing to have it discontinued.  The agreement was that they would remove the caffeine, ginseng, taurine, and several other ingredients, get rid of the "+" and "-" markings on the can, cease the "Sparks powers your night" and "Sparks give you the energy to..." marketing campaigns or anything that might imply that Sparks gave you energy, as well as their website and all ads showing people with orange tongues (evidently they were designed to appeal to young people).  I haven't seen anyone buy it since this all happened, except for a few people who didn't know and wondered why it didn't have the kick it used to.  The folks who sold McKenzie Brewing Company to Miller for $215M only a few years earlier must be laughing all the way to the bank. 

There were some questions as to whether  beverages that combine caffeine and alcohol were approved, as the Treasury Department (the group responsible for regulating alcohol) only permits "ingredients generally recognized as safe" by the FDA to be included in alcoholic beverages, and the FDA doesn't recognize caffeine or guarana as safe except in a narrow range of beverages, and as far as I can tell doesn't recognize ginseng or taurine (as an additive) as safe at all for human consumption.  But the issue was pretty vague and who knows how it would've turned out?

The week they discontinued it, I bought out the entire stock at Woodmans (large grocery store in Madison).  I've got an 18 gallon plastic bin entirely full of them in my basement that I'm saving for a special occasion.

Ethan
08-26-2009, 12:22 PM,

That oughta keep you rolling for a special occaison or two.  >Big Grin
08-26-2009, 01:19 PM,
[/quote]

It actually wasn't done at the request of the FDA, but rather because Miller voluntarily bowed to pressure from the Center for Science in the Public Interest and a bunch of state Attorneys General who were suing to have it discontinued.  The agreement was that they would remove the caffeine, ginseng, taurine, and several other ingredients, get rid of the "+" and "-" markings on the can, cease the "Sparks powers your night" and "Sparks give you the energy to..." marketing campaigns or anything that might imply that Sparks gave you energy, as well as their website and all ads showing people with orange tongues (evidently they were designed to appeal to young people).  I haven't seen anyone buy it since this all happened, except for a few people who didn't know and wondered why it didn't have the kick it used to.  The folks who sold McKenzie Brewing Company to Miller for $215M only a few years earlier must be laughing all the way to the bank. 

There were some questions as to whether  beverages that combine caffeine and alcohol were approved, as the Treasury Department (the group responsible for regulating alcohol) only permits "ingredients generally recognized as safe" by the FDA to be included in alcoholic beverages, and the FDA doesn't recognize caffeine or guarana as safe except in a narrow range of beverages, and as far as I can tell doesn't recognize ginseng or taurine (as an additive) as safe at all for human consumption.  But the issue was pretty vague and who knows how it would've turned out?

The week they discontinued it, I bought out the entire stock at Woodmans (large grocery store in Madison).  I've got an 18 gallon plastic bin entirely full of them in my basement that I'm saving for a special occasion.

Ethan
[/quote]
When's the party I'm in. I'd like to try one some day  ;D.