Remember me
Lost Password Register

Canister lights?
10-05-2008, 09:57 AM,
Re: Canister lights?
There’s no hiding it, I’m a Sartek girl. 

I’ve owned and used their HIDs for 10 years - everything ranging from 10 Watt to 150 Watt.  I switched over the their screw lids when they came out for the 10Watts and have no problems with leaking since that time - although they can be really tough to get loose.  Sometimes I have to put the opening pin a vice to get them open- but it never ever leaks.  I’ve had a bunch of problems with the standard rubber toggle switches.  Yes, they are easy to replace when you pinhole them, but they are really easy to pinhole especially if you are crawling around in small stuff.  I have changed these all out now for the Delrin magnetic switches and have had no further problems.  Sartek’s lower wattage lights are also very easy to field repair if needed- but it's rarely need.  Several of my smaller lights are focusable, but to tell the truth, I never take them off of the narrow beam.

Many of my cave students show up with various Dive Rite canister lights- yes they are cheap but you want to make sure that you buy the battery that will burn long enough for your application.  And they do have a good service record- many of the folks that bring them have problems and they have to go back and are either repaired or replaced no questions asked and no hastle.  They are also pretty easy to field fix.

I have been diving with guys in Florida caves with the Salvo 50 Watt HIDs.  These are amazingly bright!  And it seems like the price is a good point and none of them have had repair or performance issues in the last 2 years of heavy use.  Keep in mind, if you buy a 50Watt HID and your buddy is only using a 10 Watt, then you are never going to see his signals.

Currently, I am looking to upgrade all of my lighting systems for personal use, photo and video.  I am holding off for another year, waiting for the LED systems to come down in price- it is not performance that I am waiting for. Patrick Duffy from Oxycheq showed me his new light (not even on their website) and it is brighter than the 21 Watt HIDs currently on the market and of course the batteries last longer.  I also played with the Sartek LEDs and they are looking like another good option. 

I think that the wave of the future in lighting is the LED and I think that buying HID technology is buying old technology.  If you are buying used or cheap, go for it.  Right now, I am afraid that I am going to get stuck with my entire fleet of HIDs when everyone starts switching over.
10-05-2008, 12:57 PM,
Tamara, does that mean you have a few cheap? ;D
10-05-2008, 04:53 PM,

Well, I just might :-\.  PM me and let me know what you need. 

DEMA is coming and I just might have to going shopping this year!  Problem is that I'm looking for more than just a single light.  I need a lighting system - one where I can buy like 2 or 3 batteries and then have light heads for all my different uses.  Frankly I LOVE the Sartek wet connectors too- some call it a failure point and yes, I've had minor issues with them, but my problems always get taken care by Sartek.  The connectors are GREAT for traveling because you can take so much less equipment.  I also need video heads, as well as diffuse lights for photography and also heads for personal use (cave diving and wreck diving).  It is a tough bill to fill- so far only Sartek and Green Force were able to offer up what I wanted.  I was approached a few years ago by Manta to turn over all of my Sartek lights and upgrade to the Green Force line.  It looked like it would work for what I was doing, but I am sure glad that I didn't because since then, Green Force changed their distribution in the US.  Service is a big thing for me and Carl Saieva from Sartek has sure been nice to me over the years and has handled all of my complicated lighting issues!
10-05-2008, 05:13 PM,
I ask because I am in the process of becoming a baby tech guy and I feel that one of these would make a nice addition and would make my setup much more streamline..... I just am not sure I want to buy one new......... BUT that is for another topic and I do not want to take this one over. Are you in Madison, or middleton?I think I had seen your name with a dive shop over there a year or two back.  I could come and try to find you and talk if you would have time.
10-05-2008, 06:49 PM,
As it's been said, you can't go wrong with any of the major players, ie Dive Rite, Halcyon, Salvo, Sartek, etc.. In my experience, the Dive Rite 10W slimline is a piece of junk, sorry to all you slim line guys, I have to say it, the bulb is too damn fragile, and the head design allows it to be too vulnerable, at upwards of $100 a bulb, I must have gone through a half dozen bulbs. I really should have gone with a more expensive light for my first cannister, and I'd still be ahead.

That being said, in my experience, Salvo lights are probably the most durable, plus they offer a one year no questions warrantee on the bulb and battery. Literally, I've seen these things thrown into the bed of a pickup and they still fire right up.

As far as LED vs. HID, LED is the new kid on the block, and I think they'll be around for awhile. Light quality is certainly different between the two, not better or worse, just different. LEDs tend to be a little white-er and HID blue-er (at least to my eyes). But, LEDs offer longer burntimes in smaller packages and more versatile electronics, and are generally more robust. I still use my big 21W Salvo HID, and probably always will. But, am planning on picking up a smaller Salvo LED soon.
Technical Diver
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM,
Damm glad you mentioned the Diverite slim line!  I almost bought one.  Tammy Who up north carries the Sartec?  I am heading to Fortune pond Next Saturday  I am sure there will be a few lights to ask questions about!
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM,

The finest place up north is Timber Bay Sport and Dive. Kliens scuba in Wausau does not tech dive and I don't believe that they carry any lights in the way of canisters. When I worked at Timber Bay we handled Dive Rite lights, no Sartec. Call them to see if they have any in stock or have any other new brands that they have picked up this past summer. (715) 358-7529.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Hope to see you in the water next Saturday, we will be at the pond Friday through Sunday!
Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM,
I will be there Saturday for sure!
  I talked to Bill the otherday from timber bay an he didn't want to talk much about cannister lites!  Guess he doesn't want to much business :-\  Any how I am looking forward to Saturday!
Jeff
10-07-2008, 07:53 PM,

Jeff-
Well, we carry Sartek (and other brands of course) at Diversions Scuba- it's not up north, we're in Middleton, but I would be happy to talk to you about them.  And I would be happy to share my experiences with many of the different ones out there- there may be a better choice for you and your applications.  Feel free to give me a call at the shop 608-827-0354, I'm regularly around in the mornings, or send me an email with your details and I'll call you.  Wink

10-07-2008, 10:27 PM,

Broken lamp or burnout?

On the stage side, we use arc lamps for most of the moving lights.  Phillips sends along a alcohol wipe to clean the lamp after installation.  Even if you don't touch the lamp with bare fingers, there can still be residues from the packaging, which can burn into the glass, and kill the lamp.
DEW &gt;&ltWink)&gt;