wiscuba.com
Canister lights? - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Canister lights? (/showthread.php?tid=1915)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Canister lights? - jeffberry - 10-03-2008

Ok so lets talk canister lights!  Right now I am in the market an want so opinions!  I have checked out salvo an dive rite.
  The least expensive is the diverite.  I dont need great but I do want somthing that is at least comparable to my light cannon as far as output! 
I see the convenince of the cannister light an dont really like the bulk of the cannon.  With the cannister I can goodman mount the head an the cannister will be on my rightside pretty much ot of the way.
  More choices, pros an cons of the lights you all use would be helpfull since thease are kinda spendy!

Thanks Jeff

Re: Canister lights? - sum-yung guy - 10-03-2008

I personally love my Halcyon lights that I have had. They are a little bit extra cost wise, but I like to say, you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, the Dive Rite lights are awesome, and for the price, a great buy. BUT, I have seen A LOT of little problems with them over the years that has turned me away from them (plus the warranty is only like 90 days!). Halcyon makes a wide variety of canister sizes for really any taste. I would defiantly reccomend that you look at where you are going to be using the light (head size). You could easily get away with a 10 watt head and be very happy, but for that extra boost of power, the 18 watt head is very nice (price WILL go up though). Also, you will save some money if you go with a fixed head compared to a focusable head (really, spend the extra and be more happy with a focusable).

Halcyon range (retail) $780-$1850

Dive Rite range (retail) $500-$999

Please Note....

I have only heard about Salvo lights, but never dove any...

Also

There has been a lot of work and research going on in the way of canister LED lights....

I have had no personal experience with them, but they are less expensive. I have heard that you sacrifice a lot of light output from HID to LED....

Hope this helps! Good Luck and Safe Diving!

Re: Canister lights? - tat2d_diver - 10-03-2008

I have used both Dive Rite and Salvo led lights. I bought the Dive Rite LED-500 first, and had nothing but problems with it. Sent it back to Dive Rite twice and it still had issues. Then I bought a Salvo 12 watt led, it also failed after one dive. However, Salvo paid to ship it back to them and back to me. It has been working great since, it costs a bit more, but is a much better light than the Dive Rite, IMO. It seems just as bright as a 10 watt hid, but does not penetrate quite as good in limited viz. In clear water the led is fantastic. I bought the led mainly for cave diving in Mexico, so the small size and durability for travel was a big plus. I do not like the snap in handle that comes with the Salvo, the light head pops out pretty easily so I water-jetted one out of delrin that clamps around the head to solve that problem. Overall I am very happy with the Salvo, and would recommend them to anyone.

Re: Canister lights? - Vtach - 10-03-2008

Don't be afraid to spend more on a good light if you plan on heading in the technical direction.  I would recommend moving up to the 18w HID or higher.  Yes they are spendy but for diving beyond recreational depths they are worth their weight in gold.  The obvious reason would be for illumination but the lesser known, but still very important reason, is for signaling purposes.  I feel that a brighter light will carry farther in dim (not totally dark) conditions and will be easier for your buddy to see if you are flashing to get their attention. 

I have owned a DR 10w and never really had any significant problems but others have not been so lucky.  I ended up getting a great deal on a used Halcyon 18w HID and the 10w became woefully inadequate.  In 3 years I have had absolutely no problems with the Halcyon.  I had one bulb failure but that was my own damn fault, otherwise it has been rock solid.  Good luck in whatever you choose.

Re: Canister lights? - divemichigan - 10-03-2008

I also back the Halcyon lights. I've been diving the Halcyon Explorer 4.5 10W HID for two years and about 50 dives with no problems. My dive buddy uses a Dive Rite 10W HID light, and if it wasn't for the problems he had with his HID light I would of bought a Halycon one two years sooner.

Kevin

Re: Canister lights? - Captain Brian - 10-03-2008

Don't overlook the Greenforce LED.  My wife and I both have them and are very happy with there performance.

Re: Canister lights? - jeffberry - 10-03-2008

any thing to look out for?
Jeff

Re: Canister lights? - Chris H - 10-04-2008

You likely can't go wrong with a light from any of the major players.  I would make sure there aren't signs of flooding or abuse, but other than that it is tough to say.  As was mentioned earlier, I had some issues with a Dive Rite 10W slimline.  Their customer service is excellent, but it is no fun to have your primary light go of and on at will in 200ft of water, and doing a night dive on the Milwaukee with a Scout light is no fun either. (Although we still laugh a lot about that one)  I have since switched to a Halcyon 9/18, and love the light.  Like Todd mentioned, the 18W lights are great for signaling in non dark conditions where something less is not visible.  If you are spending the money,  get at least an 18W HID.  There have recently been some posted on the Decostop for $500-$700.  Which I think is a pretty good deal.  Some will tell you the Welch Allen bulbs are too fragile.  I haven't had any problems with mine.  I don't pound nails with it, but you shouldn't need to.  One other thing to consider is what your buddies are using.  If they all have lesser lights, the benefits of the 18+ may not be benefits.

Re: Canister lights? - jeffberry - 10-04-2008

Is there such a thing as too tight of beam?  Should I be looking for a focusable head or is that just another point of failure?  How about switchs?  Good or bad.  Magnetic or toggle?  The other thing I have noticed is the cannister.  some screw togeter an some use metal latches.  Any preference?

Re: Canister lights? - matt t. - 10-04-2008

I prefer a focusable light head, IMO you can't have to tight of a beam. A tight beam is best for signalling on a shallow dive or brighter days (lots of ambient light). If you get a deal on a fixed focus light I wouldn't necessarily turn it down though, depending on price and condition. I've never had a problem with the standard toggle switch. They're easy and cheap to replace if needed. My Sartek light had a screw cannister and it was o.k. Sometimes it would be a little harder to get apart than other times, but it was never a problem. The screw top does eliminate a flood from latch failure. My "H" light has the latches on the cannister and I've never had trouble with those either. My experience with dive gear (and most other stuff I do) that simpler (and plainer) is better in the long run.