Remember me
Lost Password Register

fins
01-10-2004, 11:36 AM,
Re:fins
A floating lunch wagon in Lake Wazee! This looks like a great service. Will keep an eye open for them.

Doug
01-10-2004, 12:23 PM,
Here's the sushi cart ofr you scavangers. Wink

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   dead_fish.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-10-2004, 12:25 PM,
Here's what it looks like from the surface so you know when to put your bibs on. Big Grin

Jon

.jpg_thumb   Float.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-10-2004, 01:07 PM,
I am hungry already! Or is that a burning desire to do some diving?
It has been a month, I am ready to get wet.

Doug
01-17-2004, 05:18 PM,
One more thing I carry on my float- shoes!

Since Freediving fins are all full foot, because they provide the best energy transfer of any foot pocket design, it means that you have to wear wetsuit socks, and not boots, with them. This can be a hassle if you have a long ways to walk so I just slip on some sandals over the socks to make the walk easier. The sandals float along with me all day long. Big Grin

Jon

.jpg_thumb   freediving_shoes.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.88 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-15-2004, 08:05 AM,
Here is the old ScubaPro JetFin with the new XXL Pocket. This pocket is huge and you really need to have a need (big feet and dry suit boots) to go with these.

The normal pocket was a bite narrow for me. I had a pair when I was in high school and they always gave me foot cramps. Had to retire these fins when the side of the pocket finally ripped out.

This pocket is really big.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Large_Pocket_Fin_-_2_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.81 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-15-2004, 08:15 AM,
The pocket on these fins is so big that it would fit over the snowboots of my diving partners. The owner of the fins is on the left with a size 13 foot. On the right, the pocket fits a normal foot in "bunny" military style snow boots.

Those are big fins.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Large_Pocket_Fin_-_1_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-15-2004, 11:13 AM,
Hi everyone! My name is Sasquatch, and I finally have some fins!
02-15-2004, 02:44 PM,
Who would have thought that a guy like this would have such big feet?

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Jason_-_11_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.36 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-15-2004, 04:44 PM,
Speaking of fins,

I was sent a few pairs to demo and write up. They come from a company in Estonia, the same one that made my custom monofin. They will be available to try out at Freedive-A-Palooza later on this summer.

The fin on the left is called the Kelpie. It is a vacuum molded fiberglass Spearfishing fin, hence the camo coloring, and comes in 4 different stiffness levels- this pair is a medium. It sells for around $273 us.

The one in the middle is my trusty old pair of C4-40's. They are made in Italy by a carbon fiber Racing bike manufacturer. They come in 4 different lengths and stiffness levels. They are my favorite fins by far and cost me more than I'd care to admit- since I had to have them shipped from Europe. Nowadays you can buy them at Deep Blue, in Milwaukee, for about $100 less than I paid for them a year and half ago.

The one on the right is also from Estonia and is called the Classic. It sells for around $140 US, and is vacuum molded fiberglass. The reason it is so much cheaper than the Kelpie's is because it’s a straight blade and is made without the bend in the blade that the other two fins have.

All of these fins come without foot pockets- those are extra. The reason for this is so you can get the exact kind of foot pocket that you want- OMER, Sporasub, or Spetton. It also allows you to switch in-between foot pockets for summer, barefoot, diving and winter, 6mm sock, diving.

The technology that goes into Freediving fins rivals that of any pair of skis, or golf club, that you will ever see. SCUBA fins don't have, or really need, this kind of detail because dives move so much slowely through the water.

The one thing you will never see on a Freediving fin is a split of any sort as they waste too much energy. If you don't believe me just try to play underwater hockey in a pair!

Jon

.jpg_thumb   length_differences.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.83 KB / Downloads: 0)