Remember me
Lost Password Register

fins
12-23-2003, 03:48 PM,
fins
sorry if there already is an topic on this. but anyways...

the LDS that i go to is big on useing scuba pro split fins. so i gave them a try and hated them.

i am looking for a good paddle fin. preferably not jets. any suggestions? anyone have volo's from mares? how are they?
12-23-2003, 04:14 PM,
Re:fins
Jet's and Turtle fins are the favorite among drysuit divers, since they are so heavy you don't need to buy ankle weights.

If you want something lighter you could look at fins from Diverite or some of the Aqualung "blade" type fins.

For warm water stuff I use only freediivng fins as they kick butt over any type of Split/Force/paddle fin out there. There are a couple of companies, Sporasub and Esclapez, that make openheel freediving fins large enough to use with drysuit boots. Actually, Billy Deans ( famous trimix wreck diving instructor) and Oliver Isler ( French cave diving Icon) both use Esclapez freediving fins with their drysuits- even in caves and wrecks.

Volvos seemed to be pretty overpriced for a paddle fin. I bet you could find something that worked better for a lot less money.

Jon

BTW: I have to agree with you on not liking split fins. Wink
12-23-2003, 05:18 PM,

I cant speak for the Volos, but I really like my Mares Plana Avanti Quattros (with spring straps so they are pseudo DIR Wink ). I also have a pair of Turtle fins that are very flimsy compared to the Mares.
12-23-2003, 06:42 PM,
I use mares quattros for warm water and turtles for all dives up here. Regardless of the fin you select, spring straps are a great (and I believe necessary) addon.

The split-fins take less effort but I feel like I lose some power. I only use a turtle kick when diving in our lakes and quarries. The paddle fins excel at this type of kick. The split fins may be more appropriate for diving in the ocean.
--Jason
12-23-2003, 08:27 PM,
I use the Mares Plana Avanti Quattros for all of my diving. I like them very much and so do my kids and all of the friends that have tried them.

I have not converted to spring straps but I think that they are the way to go. Will be buying a set of straps myself in the near future.

Doug
12-23-2003, 09:27 PM,
Quattro's are great fins if you switch out the fin strap.

They quattro design is the same as in the Avanti-L and the Sporasub Cruise- same fin made from the same molds by two different companies both owned by HTM. I have a pair of the Curise's that I use for underwater hockey. THey are one of the best underwater hockey fins around, as many people I play with will attest to.

Cressi-Sub Frogs are also a nice fin to look at. Rule number one should be to find one that fits your foot, as everyone's is a little different. THen you can look at blade stiffness and colors- because the fish care how you look down there. Wink

Jon
12-23-2003, 11:12 PM,

They must care a little or Gert wouldn't have been so excited about is camouflage wetsuit ;D
12-24-2003, 06:34 AM,
Given that you spearfishing folks are using some sort of weapon underwater, I think you should be wearing blaze orange. I'm gonna call the DNR right now and.............. ;D ;D
12-26-2003, 10:56 PM,
We actually have small torpedo shaped floats that hook into our guns. That way when we shoot a fish we can drop the gun and it is still tied to the float. The float also carries our water bottles (since we can be in the water for up to 8 hours at a time), candy bars, fish stringers, cameras, ect. Since they are shaped like small torpedos, and have lots of tie down points on them, you can tow them through the water very easily.

The other main reason each of us carries a sperate float is to make sure we stay far enough away from eachother when in the water. Since they also have dive flags on them we are even able to warn the boats where we are- at least as well as any one can warn some of the boaters that are out there. :o

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   gun_float.jpg_thumb (Size: 22.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
01-10-2004, 10:09 AM,
That float is pretty cool =) I've seen those around at Wazee a few times and they are definitely a neat trick. I didn't know you had food in them though...I'm going to have to keep that in mind next time I'm @ Wazee. ;D