Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wetsuit diving in WI
04-15-2008, 08:51 AM,
Re: Wetsuit diving in WI
Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I'm actually quite encouraged!  I do have a nice full hood and thick gloves, along with the other stuff I mentioned.  I'll definitely try the warm water trick too.  I have all my own equipment, except for weights and tanks.  When I bought my reg, it was with cold water in mind.  It is a Subrapro MK17/X650, which is supposedly designed to handle the cold.  I'd love to do the wrecks in Lake Michigan, but sounds like I'll have to wait till later in the summer for that.

I live in Waterford - about half hr/45 min south of Milw.  I've definitely been bitten by the diving bug, and am anxious to check out what's down there in the freshwater.  I will be looking for dive buddys, as my husband doesn't dive and doesn't want to learn - guess he'll just have to stay home and babysit - his loss!  So please keep posting so I know when conditions warm enough to try it. 

I got certified the end of November in Puerto Vallarta, returned to PV again the end of Jan for another week of diving and my Advanced and Nitrox cert, and to maintain my "every two months" schedule, I need to get wet again before the end of May.  I'll be having withdrawls if I have to wait much longer than that!!  Under water is My Happy Place!!
04-15-2008, 09:09 AM,
I forgot to ask -- what is a lip shield??
04-15-2008, 10:10 AM,
It is an oval  poly shield that surrounds the mouth piece on your reg. Giving your lips a little more protection from the elements.  I'm sure that it is a low cost item you can purchase from your local dive shop.
04-15-2008, 03:26 PM,

Or make yourself out of a scrap piece of neoprene.  I had one on a Snark III double hose and it worked very well.
04-15-2008, 09:45 PM,
I am too much of a wimp to dive with a wet suit.

Doug
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM,
I'm thinking about hitting lake Mendota at Shorewood today.  The wind is out of the south so hopefully it should be an OK dive.  Haven't been in the water for five weeks and going through severe withdrawals.  I also plan to hit Devil's lake on Sunday.  Last winter I dove wet and loved it, I got drysuit certified in the heat of July.  Last fall on the same weekend, one day I dove wet, the next day dry.  I found that I could stay in the water much longer and didn't feel 'wiped out' afterwards.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM,
maremd50
I dived wet in Lk. Michigan for several seasons before I went dry, admittedly it was a bit chilly in the early season but it can be done.
The biggest trick to diving the cold stuff wet is the fit of the suit. Anything that will limit the intrusion of water will help. I used a ScubaPro suit that has inside seals and outer zippers at the wrist and ankles. The gloves and boots go over the inner suit seal and I would close the zipper over the outside of the gloves and boots so there was a double seal. That really cut down on the water that can get in. I also used a hooded vest (like Rik o+< ) so that I didn't get that water sneaking down my backside. Burrrr.
Diving the cold stuff is different, you will have a learning curve to get accustomed to the extra gear, but hang in there. It is worth it to be able to do all the great diving we have in WI.
Dennis