Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wetsuit diving in WI
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM,
Wetsuit diving in WI
This is my first spring since I've started diving.  So far, all my dives have been in tropical locales - all 20 of them!  I have a 7 mm wetsuit, and have already ordered an additional 3 mm shorty for layering and extra warmth.  I've also located a Hotsuit Wetsuit Heater, (which is a belt-type thing that gives approximately one hour of heat by breaking an enclosed tablet, which causes a chemical reaction) but am wondering how much local diving I can reasonably expect without going into a drysuit. 

My question is this - How many of you dive in a wetsuit - locally?  When can I expect that some of the inland lakes will warm enough to tolerate diving in a wetsuit?  Also, to what temps do the inland lakes get?  I appreciate you sharing your experience with a newbie.   
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM,
Re: Wetsuit diving in WI
Welcome to the board.  Depending on what type of diving you plan to do, you should be able to do numerous dives with a 7mm suit.  I haven't used a wetsuit in a number of years, but in the summer, above the thermocline (typically around 20ft of water) the lakes can get quite warm.  Heck it was 68 in Lake Michigan for a dive or two.  Temperatures below the thermocline can drop quickly, but even then you should still be OK with your suit.  If looking at fish and swimming around is what you are after, you'll have no problems.  If you want to be out on Lake Michigan, you'll still be OK, you'll just want to plan your dive around the temperature and wait until there is a thermocline.
04-14-2008, 06:11 PM,
Welcome to the board.  You can do it all in a 7mm, depending how fast you get cold including ice diving.  I have been in Lake Michigan to 110 feet in 39 degree water and been fine.  Like Chris said, depending on how deep you go, you can be very comfortable in a 7mm.  Many of the inland lakes can get to 70 degrees. 

I own a drysuit and still dive the inland lakes wet because they get so warm.  You can do wrecks on Lake Michigan because you not down as long and the lake is warmest in fall.

What part of the state are you in?
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM,
I suppose it depends on what your tolerance is. I dive a 7mm, 2 piece farmer john wetsuit year round (because I'm too cheap to buy a Dry). All kidding aside,  good gloves, boots and a hood or hooded vest can make your dive much more comfortable.
04-14-2008, 07:13 PM,
Early season you'll want to preheat.  That is bring a thermos of warm water along and dump it in your suit prior to the dive.  I've used this technique for ice diving and it works well.  Inland lakes are okay until the alge bloom.  Then you might as well migrate to Lake Michigan.  In a 7mm there is lots of good diving from June into October.  It gets a little dicey after that.  Previous years May was good too.  We've had a good old fashioned winter this year though, so May might be a little iffy.  Don't be afraid to try diving early.  You can always come back up.  You might surprise yourself though.  This diving thing can get in your blood.  Have fun and dive safe.
04-14-2008, 07:43 PM,
I would say that on Lake Michigan charters, in general, I see as many wer suit divers (if not more) than dry suit divers.  It is also true that for much of the summer, if you stay above the first thermocline,  that you can dive in even 3mm suits.  But, for most people to be comfy for multiple dives per day and for a longer dive season here in the great white north, dry is probably the way to go. 
04-14-2008, 08:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM by moneysavr.)
Hi And Welcome to the board!
You can dive Lake Michigan  & Local inland lakes!  wet= a 7mm suit and a liner 1 mil or microprene  full suit helps a bit with a farmer style suit  -just to keep water movement as low as possible, A good hood, boot's and gloves all put on the right way sealed as tight as you can stand, will make your dives fine! And as said  a bit of warm water down your wet suit prior to the dive and a warm up after helps big time, I have a tap off the engine on my boat to warm up wet suit divers and it works great and at some inland shore dives guys bing soame hot water to dump in prior and after the dives.
Hey have fun and enjoy diving we are diving shore dives-wrecks all the time and some of the group dive wet year round! and some dry suit guys still dive wet with leaks! ha ha!
dive safe,
Brad
04-14-2008, 08:34 PM,
My first dive in Wazee was with a 5mm and a hooded vest.  Then I bought a 7mm neoprene semi-dry suit.  It has a cross shoulder zip, attached boots, neck seal, and the inflater and deflater of a drysuit, but water still gets into it, either because my neck is too small for the seal or by design?!?!
Perhaps more important than the suit is the hood density and having a lip shield on your reg.
I love to go down with other divers!
04-15-2008, 01:18 AM,
I dive Wet & love it!
I might suggest a Hooded Vest under your 7 ml and good mittins in cold water makes a big difference.
I've heard about the warm water trick but I've never needed to use it.
If your doing multiple dive's get out of your wet suite between dives & turn it inside out to give it a chance to dry & warm up.
Warm up your core temp. with hot chocolate or warm soup.
I usually bring hot chocolate along and end up giving it to "Dry Suite Diver's!
I've done Ice dive's & mostly Lake Michigan dive's with this set up and have never been cold!
[glow=red,2,300]I will admit though if I had too much money I would probably by a Dry Suite Just to Look Coool![/glow]
04-15-2008, 06:52 AM,
This question poses many variables....... My wife dives a wet suit and she has never been in warm water, she is always cold no matter what thickness suit she wears. When I dive with her we stay to the shallows where she and the fish hang out. I have found out that everyone handles the cold differently and you will just have to "test the waters" for yourself. I know some people that will not touch the cold water diving with out a dry suit, and others that will never go dry. There is alot of wet diving to be done in this area but I think I would wait to put a green diver in the water until June. The way this spring has been, maybe later. I hope this will help some, and I am sure this will start much controversy. If you are looking for a dive buddy, hit me up.... I am always looking for a puddle to jump into. If you have dove warm waters only, I have to ask.... do you have any equipment? regs and such? If so please make sure they are set up for the cold water. James