Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wolf River Dive Report
02-18-2004, 08:47 AM,
Re:Wolf River Dive Report
Thanks guys,
Actually I'll end up in either Merrill (up by Tamahawk - sp?) or Shawano. If Merrill, the Point will be quite close by my current standards (I currently commute 140 mi RT). Thanks for the GB and Appleton advice - I'm sure I'll end up using them when I'm in their neighborhood.

Time to go search this site for some info on Lake Mich. wreck charters. One last question. We usually visit friends in Shawano around the 4th of July. Here, in the summer, the algae blooms cut the viz down to 1-10' (down to about 60fsw) In lake Michigan, around the first week of July, what can I expect for viz and should I bring my drysuit?

Thanks again!
02-18-2004, 08:55 AM,
It does depend on where you end up diving in the lake, however you can typicall expect around 30/40 feet of viz on most decent wrecks. I would recommend a drysuit. No matter the time of year, the lakes never get extremely warm.
02-18-2004, 12:24 PM,
I usually dive up in Door County every July 4th weekend. I have had 3ft vis and 30ft vis. It depends on the location and weather.
--Jason
02-18-2004, 01:36 PM,
Jason, the 3-30 ft viz. Is that dependent on depth or just sunlight that causes algae?
Omicron, yea, L Superior was always 40 once you got below 15' (January or August). I figured pretty much the same for L Michigan. I just wasn't sure if the charters did multi tank dives there. A single dive I can use a rental wetsuit but any repetative dives (other than the Caribbean) I have to have my drysuit.

Here's a little something from my last dive that you might like. It's a Mosshead warbonnet. About 3/4" chin to top of head. They are kind of rare out here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   WbWarbonnetCU1280452.jpg_thumb (Size: 44.01 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-18-2004, 02:25 PM,
It's more dependent on the wind and time of year. Every August we get warm water when the east winds blow. Last summer we ended up with 68 degrees all the way to 110' with a good 30' of vis. When the cooler water comes in, as the winds switch direction, the water will clear up even more- around 50', but the temps drop to around 40. Winter charters can see water temps drop into the low to mid 30's as the currents keep the water flowing, which prevents freezing, and thus cooler temps. This is why someone can have a regualtor work great on an ice dive one weekend and then go out for a winter charter the next and have everything freeze-up solid.

THe best vis that I have actually measured, with a fiberglass tape measure, is 85' on the wreck of the Willy in February. Most of the good vis is due to the introduction of Zebra mussels from Europe. When I was a kid we were lucky to have 10'-15' of vis and now it's a bad day when we have less than 20'. I have dove the Carferry Milwaukee plenty of times when I couldn't see my own fins, and now we have recorded many 50' days.

April and November have always been the worst months. That's when you have the highest winds and the lowest vis. Still, there are a few days that you can go out, but the first couple weeks of August is always a safe bet- warm water, calm seas and decent vis.

A drysuit is a good idea, but there are plenty of divers who go in wetsuits. Most charters do 2-3 tanks dives, although you can jump on an evening charter for a single tank to test the waters.

Hope this helps you out,

Jon
02-18-2004, 08:05 PM,
Welcome Carvendive,

You got a pretty good amount of information on Lake Michigan. FreediveWI(Jon) gave you the most accurate. He has a ton of experience in Milwaukee Shipwreck diving. You CAN dive Lake Michigan in a wet suit all year round...but you dont want to. You will be far more comfortable if you wear a dry suit year round. Last year, I had a couple of days when some of my patrons took off hoods and gloves for their second dives. This is rare though.

Out of Milwaukee harbor, we are very close to most of the wrecks. Usually from leaving dock, we can be at the site with the "pool open" in less than 25-30min.

Dive season runs from May 1st thru October 31. There is one charter that goes out during the winter...Len-Der, but i know he was blown off the lake or iced in almost every trip this winter. May and October can be a bit rough, but the rest of the summer makes for fantastic weather for diving.

Look me up, I would love to get you out!

welcome to big lake wreck diving! your going to love it.

dean

02-18-2004, 09:35 PM,
Carvendive,

Merrill is my home town. You can go any direction to find some diving from Merrill. But not much locally.

Here is an example of Lake Michigan diving on the Frank O'Conner on July 4, 2003. Hope this gives you some idea of visibility during that time of year. You will find other pictures in this site under Local Dives and Lake Michigan trip heading.

The guys give a real good description of Lake Michigan conditions and diving.

I always recommend diving with a dry suit. Once dry, never go back.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Wreck_-_11_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.48 KB / Downloads: 0)
02-24-2004, 09:15 AM,
WOW!!! I had no idea your viz was that good. My last dive in lake Michigan was somewhere around 1978 and what I remember was viz in the 6-8' range. Those Zebra's must really be taking a tole on the available food for other indigenous species. (sp)

That's great (in that I may have met a diver from what may become my new home town)! I'm hoping for 4 more years here but with constant layoffs, I may be home even sooner.

Yup, Dry is the only way to go. Now I even use dry gloves. Plus, they make the controls on the camera and strobes MUCH easier to manipulate.

When I get a firm date on when I'll be in the area I'll post it. Currently I'm checking with several Charter operators to see about hooking up for a few dives while I'm in Marquette and Shawano.

Thanks for all the information - I do appreciate it!