Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wolf River Dive Report
12-03-2003, 08:37 PM,
Wolf River Dive Report
We got out today and dove the Wolf river in Shiocton. We got there late in the morning and checked out the conditions. The river appeared low and slow but we noticed a pretty good amount of solid ice on the banks of the river the extended out 10-15 feet from shore. If the river looks this way I wonder what the smaller lakes and quarries are looking like. Vis looked like river vis, tannic but "relatively" clear. We went into the bar and got permission to use the back parking area and the stairs. I threw my drysuit on and decided to check out the thickness of the ice and found it to be about 3/4" thick and easy to break with just body weight. I cleared an entry point through the ice and went back to the car to don gear. We entered the water and found the surface temp to be 33 deg's. We then headed into the current and followed it down the river to 30 foot deep "hole" in the bend of the river. The bottom temp now 35 deg's and vis was about 5-6 feet. The "hole" is pretty crowded with debris and structure. Apparently there was some sort of salvage yard on the river at that point years ago so there is a pretty good amount of junk around. We farted around for a bit looking at all the junk but no sturgeon to be seen. I made a wonderful decision that I would not need my HID canister light with all the sunlight, stupid brain...DOH!!! So I was relying on backup lights which really did not make things any easier. We ascended into shallower water and decided to try to break through the ice from underneath. That was not happening even with the 3/4" or so of ice. So think twice before you decide to try a late season "open" water dive on "thin" ice. While farting around trying to break through the ice my power inflator froze open which ended the dive. We got out of the water and headed to the bar for a hot bowl of chili. The last few times I have been there we have seen a fairly good number of large sturgeon all concentrated in one area about 25-30 feet deep but nothing this time. All in all, a worthwhile dive.

Todd

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   IMG_0220.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.74 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-04-2003, 12:42 AM,
Re:Wolf River Dive Report
Thanks Todd, good report and cool pic.
--Jason
12-07-2003, 08:29 PM,
Several of us did this dive today as well.

About the same conditions as Todd had. 1 to 7 feet of viz, mild current, 33 degree water temps. We had less ice on the shoreline.

Saw several large carp, and several sturgeon so it made the extremely cold water worth it. Had a little problem with some first stages freezing up on us but otherwise things went okay. One thing that was weird was all the frogs - 100's of frogs all over the river bottom - they were all sprawled out and looked like they were dead. I'm thinking that they were just settled in for the long winter, hibernating...but it was weird looking. At one point, Doug's fin kicked up about half a dozen of 'em into my face...heh. It was kind of funny.

In talking about this dive site, I REALLY, REALLY want to caution anyone going here. DO NOT do this dive unless you are spot on with your skills and you've got the gear to support it. It is EXTREMELY cold, very low viz, and can at times have very high current. In addition to that, it can at times be like navigating a 3-D maze - logs sticking out everywhere, rocks, metal structure - you can get caught up in just about anything. I just would hate to here about something happening to someone there.
12-07-2003, 08:57 PM,
Sounds like you had a pretty good dive Jason. Good to hear that you were able to see some sturgeon and carp. I definitely agree with you about the words of caution to anyone who has not dove there before. The amount of structure and junk there is pretty amazing. All in that small bend in the river. The combination of those conditions increases the propensity for MAJOR problems if you are not prepared. If the weather holds out I might try one more dive there but its looking like the next dive will be through the ice. Let me know if you plan on going again. I would have gone with you today but I had to work.

Todd
12-07-2003, 09:32 PM,
It was worth it - talk about a COOOOLD dive though. Yikes.

We're actually thinking that we might go one more time next weekend, depending on how the ice looks. I'll let ya know.
12-08-2003, 10:08 PM,
Another place you may want to try is the bridge at Winneconne. The current is usually not to bad. Vis is ok. There is a bar right there that will let you get in there (they have even let us suit up in the bar). What is really trick is the amount of Bottles and the huge amount of stuff on the bottom. Tons of anchors are lost every year here due to the amount of debris around the bridge. I found about ten anchors there one year in one dive alone. Other items found are fishing poles and even a couple of props.
12-09-2003, 10:00 PM,
This was a great place to dive. Nothing like swimming with a 4 foot sturgeon, 2 feet away from you. Plenty of frogs too.

This is not a dive for anybody. It is cold, there is some ice, conditions are disorienting and you will have ocassional siltouts. It is a maze of logs and junk. Plenty of current. You will probably get separated from your partner. ???

You have to be trained, experienced and equiped for these conditions. Lose it here and you have a major problem.

Otherwise this was a blast. No pictures this trip. It is just too hazardous and high task load to take the camera.

Doug
02-17-2004, 02:47 PM,
Nice site.
Todd and Doug, nice dive reports! Between the two of them I was able to get a good idea of your conditions. I use to dive Lake Superior and several of the UP rivers back in the late 60's but I'm currently stuck with the Puget Sound (which is a lot warmer than where you guys are.)

The sturgeon sightings sound like a blast. Here it's mostly macro life (which is my love - especially now that I've got my camera and strobes) plus the occassional Wolfeel, Giant Pacific Octo, and 6 gill shark (for large critters). Oh, I forgot - the sealions. Night diving is a blast with them. Sometimes, out of nowhere all of a sudden here is this face about 6-10" from your faceplate which can make for a porta-potti kind of dive Smile They love it when you use your dive light to spot perch. Wham! and a few scales glisten in the dive light beem.

Viz is a little better. We often get days of 6-15' but then on some days when the blooms aren't strong you'll get upwards of 40-55'.

I'm counting down to retirement, and looking at retiring back to Wisconsin - Shawano area (originally from 'da UP). Looks like the Wolf river, Door County and the Apostle Islands will become my new "Local" dive sites. - Can't wait!

As far as a GOOD Local Dive Shop, what would you recommend?
02-17-2004, 03:57 PM,
Hi Caverndive,
Welcome to the board. I'm not Todd or Doug, but I know those guys and you don't want their advice anyway Wink Diving with the Sturgeons in the Wolf was probably the coolest dive I've ever done.

In that neck of the woods, I recommend Divepoint Scuba Center in Stevens Point. I am still convinced that Bob has the largest selection of equipment in the state.
02-17-2004, 08:53 PM,

I agree with Chris on dive shops. Hard to beat DivePoint for service and selection and I travel most of the state. Bob has all of the good stuff and plenty of it.

However, being in Shawano is a bite of a drive to Stevens Point. Point is the right direction to go for Lake Wazee and Central Wisconsin diving.

However, it is the wrong direction when going to dive Door County. In Green Bay I would recommend Green Bay Scuba Shop. In Appleton I use Dive Realm. I have been treated well in all of these shops.

Plenty of diving in Wisconsin and the Great Lakes are the Gravy.

Welcome Home.

Doug