Remember me
Lost Password Register

Monona Outlet
12-28-2007, 07:42 PM,
Re: Monona Outlet
Was hoping to dive tomorrow (Sat) but it is getting to look like that won't happen. Hopefully it will thaw soon.
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM,
Sorry Mike, I was trying to ask Ethan if and when he was going to try the Yahara dive.  Was just looking at the forcast for next week.  Tuesday and Wednesday should be cold enough for them to turn the pumps on again and hopefully thaw the outlet again.  If I get the all clear from Doc. on Wednesday morning I'll be looking for the closest puddle ;D.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-29-2007, 09:41 AM,
Great.  Let us know.

Dave,  have you been following this?

Mike
12-29-2007, 04:00 PM,
yah, keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend.  i'll sacrifice a chicken too if that'll help.
Dave Job, Port Washington WI
12-29-2007, 07:12 PM,
Great.  Go for it.
12-30-2007, 10:27 PM,
Re: Monona Outlet and Yahara River
MG&E is still frozen over with no sign of flow. We did the Yahara River today (had to get in my dive for the month December!).  The viz was amazing, 20+ feet, which is better than I remember it being in the past.  However, the water is absolutely frigid (thermometer registered in the low 30s - I was expecting it to be 38).  We were too cold to do the full drift dive, so we just dived a short section in Tenny Park near the locks (just downstream of the bridge).  We didn't find any cool junk, just a bunch of lures and some old tires.   There was one huge carp under the pier - he was so lethargic he took several seconds to turn back upright after I nudged him out of the way.
01-02-2008, 05:11 PM,
I visited the doctor today to have my ear checked out.  He said the ear drum is fine and should be OK to dive.  He also said it might take a little time to cure the hearing issue.  Going to the pool tonight to do some laps with my snorkel equipment, got to work off some holiday cheer!
Life's Short, Dive Hard
01-03-2008, 12:35 PM,
I stopped by the outlet today, pumps are on again, but the wind off the lake is bitter cold.  I expect the pumps to be on tonight.  With the warm up this weekend, I don't expect the pumps to remain on and will freeze back up by Sunday.  I am going to try diving Friday afternoon around 4:00 and/or Saturday morning if anyone wants to join me.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
01-03-2008, 08:20 PM,
  Looking at the weather, looks like Friday will be the best opportunity to go diving.  I'm going to plan on 3:30 to be there.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
01-04-2008, 08:29 PM,
The outlet was on for me today, 59 degrees in the current! Big Grin Big open water area too.  Viz about 20' +.  The outlet has been modified, they added a grate to the outlet so that nobody or fish can get in the tunnel.  Also they pulled some large rocks out of the tunnel to accomadate the grate so that there is a pile of rock 6' from the tunnel.  If a boat gets too close to the outlet, they'll be in for a surprise.  Fish can't swim in and hide from ya.  there were a couple Muskies about 36" ea. and lots of Bluegill and Bass.
Life's Short, Dive Hard