Remember me
Lost Password Register

semi local Isle Royal
01-13-2008, 03:07 PM,
Re: semi local Isle Royal
Brian

I don't think i am missing the big picture at all, in order to truly enjoy the diving in IR one needs to do it as a Technical diver and have the Helium & O2 there on the Dive boat.( My opinion ) I understand that all three charter boats run Tech divers to " some " of the deeper wrecks, the Truk Aggressor ran people to the San Francisco Maru too but it didn't make them a technical dive boat by putting divers on a deeper wreck for one day out of the 6 day trip. Last time i checked the Aggressor was no longer in Truk because they could not make a profit doing it !

I understand IR is a total experience, its a Great place to dive, hike & just enjoy.

Last time i looked penetrating the engine room of the Emperor in 140 ffw was not a sport dive just like doing the same on the Milwaukee Car in 120 ffw inside the engine room is not a sport dive.

Brian you have a great are for diving where you are and i hope all your customers enjoy it as much as you do !

See you at Ghost Ships

Bill 
01-13-2008, 04:40 PM,
We dove IR off of Brians boat last summer and it was great. While the viz wasn't as good as I expected, it was made up for by everything else we experienced on the island (including Carrie being within 5 feet of a moose and her calf), the boat, and most important in the water. The boat really wasn't that badly cramped, everyone got along well, and we eat way better than on the average dive trip,  the captain and crew couldn't have been better. I understand that the price sometimes turns some divers off but if you consider what you would be spending on food, motel, and air on other dive trips I think it comes fairly close (unless of course you are camping). I have no comment on the rec versus tec end of it...there's plenty for all.  IR should be at the top of places to experience. This is of course my opinion, and we will be going back.
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM,
We have just added a new compressor and a trimix stick that give us the ability to offer nitrox and trimix for any of the dives you wish to do on Isle Royale.  We are striving to make this the easiest and best diving experience you've had to date.  It is one of the sites that most serious have as top of their list.
Brian Anderson<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM,
;D  Nitrox.... yummy...
03-20-2008, 03:44 PM,
I have been to Isle Royal twice.  It has been years but the first time my friend and I went on a run with two other divers, we did not know, from Minneapolis.  I do not remember the name of the boat but it was out of Grand Portage and it was a lady captain.  She really knew how to handle the boat!  The other divers ended up being real nice to share the boat with an the food was great.  It ended being days of dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, land on the island take a shower and explore the island for a few hours then eat and dive...was real nice.  The price was substantial but OK for what we got.  Overall I have pleasant memories from these trips. The drive was very long.  Nowdays time is more important than money.  It might be worth exploring flying in from Wisconsin or the UP on a pontoon plane as an option.  I remember talking to the pilots when I was up there and they said the summer books fast for passengers.
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2008, 05:12 PM by DiveCaptDean.)
"Superior Diver"??????

do you think people would be willing to pay that kind of expense to fly to either the island or grand portage..

Most small planes would only be able to take a couple of passengers at a time..especially with their gear. 
deano
03-20-2008, 05:15 PM,
Jackie Polanski and the Superior Diver
Brian Anderson<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
03-23-2008, 05:29 PM,
I have been to IR 5 times now and it is one of the best cold water wreck diving experiences you can do. Mostly recreational wreck diving, sight seeing, and just plain relaxing. Having dove with several charters over the years, you will not find a more accommodating boat captain that Brian from MN-Blackdog. Now with his new boat and all his updates to accommodate us even more, I have booked with Brain again this summer. July 24 through the 27 we will be diving the Kamloops.
Give me a call if you are interested... Smile

Keith