Remember me
Lost Password Register

semi local Isle Royal
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM,
semi local Isle Royal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello All-..
Board is still a bit dead..so here is another question to ponder....

We all know that Isle Royal is one hell of a resourse for diving..but  not that many of us get up there..we know that there is diving there for all kinds of divers although, it is not a place for the inexperienced...my question....

What would it take to get you to go the Isle Royal to dive???

Why havent you already been there???

Those that have been there...how was your trip, and what would make it better???..accomodations..food...dive sites...

What would make it more convenient for you?

How about pricing???..are you willing to grin and bear poor accomodations for cheaper pricing, or would you rather pay a little more for much better accomodations....

Go!... 

12-17-2007, 05:48 AM,
Re: semi local Isle Royal
Hey, Dean....

When we (Matt T. and a couple of others) were there a couple of years ago, we dove with RLT Divers. Ralph did a great job of getting us out to the better sites, like the Emperor, Congdon, among others. The boat was fine, the food was good, the weather even cooperated. We were there over the Labor Day weekend. IMHO, the things that made this trip fun, were:
  • The guys I dove with
  • The dive sites
  • The views
You were right when you said that Isle Royale diving is not for the newly certified diver, and frankly not even for someone with Advanced. The depths and surface conditions can sometimes scare off those with less experience which may be good thing. Sometimes folks think drysuits are required (we had two guys who dove wet, and did fine, just not as long of run times as those us diving dry). I also think some folks get nervous when they think they will be on a small boat for the entire trip, not knowing that the charter operators up there try to put their divers in as calm water as possible, and always hide in a protected bay during the night, or even dock at one of the campgrounds to allow everyone some peace when trying to sleep. Heck, we even did a cookout and had steaks one night at one of the campgrounds!
What would make this trip better?  Not much, other than maybe a bigger boat for more room when gearing up.

Colin.
12-17-2007, 02:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM by matt t..)
Like Colin said, I was up there a few years ago on the same trip he was. Food was good, boat was old and slow (broke down 2X and we "the customers" fixed it), and didn't have the greatest accomodations for all of us, but it was o.k. for a few days. The Captain could have been a little more motivated with the timing of things. We were told it was pretty much an "all you can dive" kind of trip, and we were lucky to get in 2 dives a day. Ralph was very accomodating as far as what we wanted to do, but tank fills took a long time, and the travel time to the different sites was long. We talked about going back next summer with a different charter, but considering what they're charging these days for a recreational trip, there are a lot of other places I haven't seen yet and would rather do. So my thoughts are...
1) Boat would need to be quick enough to get you to the site with a motivated Captain (but also large enough to be comfortable).
2) NEEDS A GOOD HEAD and possibly a shower.
3) Quicker filling compressor.
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM,
Matt,

I sent you an email.
Brian Anderson<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
01-05-2008, 09:15 PM,
Hey Deano

Glad your happy up North !

First let me say i know Isle Royal, i have over twenty dives just on the K Loops and have run both private & commercial boats here.

You asked so here is my answer, Yes Isle Royal offers some great diving but it a logistic pain in the ass. I worked a dove in Isle Royal for two seasons but the drive is a killer and for a few more hours one can be on the Gunilda or Hart.

Wrecks, Yes they are good dives but are they any better then Whitefish or Presque Isle over on Huron, i doubt it and whats up with the vis in the past few years. When i dove Isle Royal in the 80's we had no less then 80 " and at times much more.

Then you have living on a boat, ( i am not a stranger to this myself ) 80% of all people just don't like the cramped quarters on boats that we all try to run for live aboards here in the Great Lakes. The season is so short that to run say a 60 ' boat does not pay. Yes you can have good food aboard but at the end of the day most people would rather go out to eat and sleep in a motel room.

Over the past twenty five yeas many capt's have tried to make a go of it in Isle Royal, Bill Gardner was who got me started diving up there and i am glad i did, its Great Diving at least once.

Pricing, We all know how much it costs to operate a dive boat, then throw in between 100 - 200 miles on a charter and you now are talking real expenses. You must fill the boat everytime or you will go broke ! The cost of fuel alone is making IR next to impossible. Tell people they must pay $800.00 PP to dive and they think twice about going.

Dean, Yes the diving is Great ! Yes everyone should experience it ! After that i will meet them in Huron !

Bill
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM,
Isle Royal is a goal which I will attain.  It's on the ladder just before Truk.  It's not a money thing, it's a goal thing.  There's alot of diving to be done around here first, plus alot of upgrading to my training and gear set.  I know few follow in my foot steps and my path is clean, but to be apprieciated things must be earned, not given.

Jim
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM,
I've never been on a liveaboard to Isle Royal but did spend a week up there diving.  I was part of a group that took 4 boats across Superior from Eagle Harbor (Keeweenaw).  We brought everything we needed (compressor included) and camped on the island.  We came across to Rock Harbor, checked in and proceeded to Duncan Narrows and stayed there for the week.  We spend pretty much the whole time diving the stern of the Emperor with a little on the bow of the Congdon.  We had a great time both diving and just sightseeing.  The foxes are damn bold and will take food right out of your hand if you are not careful.  Apparently people have been waaaaay too friendly with some of the wildlife :o.

I really don't have any suggestions for charter operators to make it better other than what was already posted by others (bigger faster boat, comfortable accomodations, trimix fills, etc...).  I would like to get up there again but I will wait until I am proficient on CCR.  That seems to be the most logical way to dive there.  Like Bill had said, the logistics for OC trimix diving up there make it easier to head other places.  I still want to get up there and dive the "Kumlumpus" or Kamloops (sorry George, I couldn't resist ;D).
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM,
The majority of the diving up in that area is within recreational limits. I certainly wouldn't rank it up there with Truk. If you haven't been there I would go ASAP. Prices aren't getting any cheaper, and we aren't getting any younger  Wink.
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM,
"The majority of the diving up in that area is within recreational limits. I certainly wouldn't rank it up there with Truk."

I agree, the Majority of it is with in Rec limits, but the best diving is the Emperor & Kamloops & Congdon Stern all of them below 140 ffw and that puts them way Beyond Rec limits. I remember the very first time i dove IR and we made dives on the shallower wrecks like the America & Congdon Bow,after that all i wanted to do was go back and dive the deeper stuff that is much Better !

Going all the way to Isle Royal to dive takes time & $$, and making the trip to dive the wrecks that are shallow is no better then standing on the shore in Whitefish getting your self ready to go dive the sausage wreck while you watch others going out to dive the Superior City.

With all the wrecks we have within recreational limits in Lake Superior, Mich & Huron why go all the way to IR for that. The Milwaukee Car Ferry is a better dive then some of the shallow wrecks in IR and a lot easier & cheaper to get too.

I think if you wish to dive IR go after you get the training to do the deeper dives and have figured out a way to have the Helium or go CCR. Diving deep on air while it can be done ( Lord knows i did enough of it ) is not the best.

Dive boats running IR should realize it takes a lot more then fixing meals and taking people to the America & Chisolm. They need to figure out a way to have Helium & O2 aboard the boat. How can you expect people to come to a great tec diving area if they can't dive the best wrecks there ! It can be done and someone will come along and make it happen sooner or later.

Lets just go make the best dives we can !

Bill

01-13-2008, 01:56 PM,

Bill, I think you are missing the whole picture on Isle Royale.  The wrecks, the diving, the food, the dive boat, the island itself, are all part of the experience.  I have dove the wrecks around Milwaukee and do agree that they are great dives.  The wrecks around Isle Royale are also fantastic dives.  They are both  dive sites that should be on every divers agenda.  As far as your comment on tech diving, all 3 charter operators for Isle Royale offer technical dive trips.  A majority of the trips to Isle Royale are recreational.  Most of the diving IS above 140'.  Even penetrating the engine room on the Emperor, around the back of the engine is only 138'.  These wrecks have so much to offer, it's a shame to down grade them.  We both run charter businesses and I think divers should be given the opportunity to experience the vast selection of diving the Great Lakes have to offer.

Brian L. Anderson

anderson@bevcomm.net
Brian Anderson<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com