Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather Weekend
11-01-2007, 01:15 PM,
Re: Rebreather Weekend

They take all of the YBOD's that have been involved in accidents and resell them Wink   OK. not very constructive, but maybe sort of funny?   

Rebreathers are definitely cool...and expensive.   The "O", which I think stands for "Obscene Expensive", is getting pummeled in the price category with help from the weak dollar.  (Matt, I think that is the fault of the current administration :-*)   

Someday, when I win the lottery, I'll be able to spend $18,000 on a dive toy...

Dean, can you dive a breather with your bad back?

Don't forget there is a rebreather section of WIscuba.
[/quote]

Yeah, breathers are expensive but so is the helium that we have been blowing to the atmosphere along with the long term collection of open circuit stuff Wink.  I am pretty interested in rebreathers but it seems so difficult to find any place locally that we can get out and try the difference between products and setups.  We are pretty much left with rebreather forums and word of mouth.  I have a real problem with going out and taking a rebreather course that will certify me as competent to only dive one rebreather before purchasing one.  To me that just seems to be a waste of money unless you have a unit available to dive frequently.  Even with renting a unit, I don't think you would be able to reasonably get enough time to master the skills to make it worthwhile.

So far it seems that the RB market is getting more competition every year and that is definitely a good thing for the consumer in the long run.  Hopefully this will cause a trend of decreasing cost on RB's.  I know that Closed Circuit Research (Ouroboros) is offering an RB called the Sentinel that will be capable of 300 ft dives at a reduced cost over the Ouroboros.  I also heard that Poseidon will be offering the CIS lunar MkVI.  Sounds like it will be reasonable but only for recreational use.

I'm not buying tomorrow so I can afford to "wait and see", but I would like to be seriously planning it within the next year or so. >Big Grin

11-01-2007, 01:33 PM,
I tell you this much, I think the key to Todd's statement (I can sort of read his goofy mind sometimes so I feel I'm justified saying this is the key) is "long term collection of OC stuff".  I realize I have A LOT of money invested in gear.  I don't even like to think about it sometimes.  Anyway, one piece at a time somehow seems less painful then $10,000-$20,000 up front.

Helium is expensive, and I don't like to think about that either :'(

Rebreathers are still cool, but so are Ferraris...
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM,

I tell you what Bobby, I think you could work out a deal with Kevin Gurr and buy it one piece at a time. ;D  The Level III Sentinel is ONLY $7800 and I think the class is $1200 or so.  Nine grand and your in!!!!  Come on wuss, lets go downtown in silence!!!  Think of all the talking we can do underwater.  I am pretty sure that you can laugh through a breather. >Big Grin.  Matt is in.....you are the only one holding up the program!!!
11-01-2007, 02:39 PM,

I tell you what Bobby, I think you could work out a deal with Kevin Gurr and buy it one piece at a time. ;D  The Level III Sentinel is ONLY $7800 and I think the class is $1200 or so.  Nine grand and your in!!!!  Come on wuss, lets go downtown in silence!!!  Think of all the talking we can do underwater.  I am pretty sure that you can laugh through a breather. >Big Grin.  Matt is in.....you are the only one holding up the program!!!

[/quote]

I think that is 7800 pounds...?
11-01-2007, 02:53 PM,

Unless I missed a price change the Level 3 Sentinel is 5400 pounds time 2ish and your at 11,000.00 plus training ect...  At 2800 pounds less then Boris it is a deal.  I think it is a very good unit actually, but it is not a Boris ;D The less dollars has it's cost.  I do think the sentinel is a better product then the ones on the market at the same price point. By the time you sell all your OC gear it may only cost you???? 
The Poseidon unit is recreational only... while released at the show I don't think they gave a sales date???  Not sure, not interested.

The laughter and jokes from you guys would prevent the silence.
11-01-2007, 02:58 PM,

Nonsense!  We are all serious, all the time.
11-01-2007, 03:11 PM,
Yes they are.
I'll leave the rest for people to learn in their MOD1 course.
Re breather world has a very good chart on unit comparisons. 
11-01-2007, 03:47 PM,
I screwed up on my conversion and converted Euros to dollars instead of pounds to dollars..... :'(

Thats it...I'm out.... ;D  Stupid calculations.....

It would be funny to hear us all singing "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy underwater....that is worth a couple grand itself
11-01-2007, 04:43 PM,
We just calculated Chris used gear value and it was close enough that the offset of helium over 2 years tops was worth it and he was "in"  now you run away.... 
11-01-2007, 05:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-01-2007, 05:25 PM by matt t..)
So whatever happened to "Bobby Squint Eye"? BTW bitches, I'm still in. You need the GOOD shiz to go downtown.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)