Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather Weekend
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM,
Rebreather Weekend
Hello All-
Just a quick note to inform you of the fantastic long weekend we had here at Superior Scuba Center in Duluth, MN.
Richie Kohler and his wife Carrie were in town from Wed thru Mon instructing Jay Hanson, Joel McMaster, Rich Rezanka and John Nousaine on the Evolution CCR.  We were pleased to have Peter DenHaan from Silent Diving System join us as well.  There were alot of great stories shared over dinner each night and a great time was had by all.  They are great people that enjoy bringing their joy of diving to others.  Pool sessions were held at UWS and open water diving was done on Lake Superior off of Superior Wreckreation.  We are proud to announce that all students passes with flying colors and Superior Scuba Center is now a Evolution/ Inspiration Dealer.  At this time, all instruction for these units through Superior Scuba Center will be done by Richie and Carrie...So..if you desire to look into the future of diving, stop by or call and we would would be happy to get on the list for next years classes with them.

Cheers
Deano
10-30-2007, 05:27 PM,
Re: Rebreather Weekend
Sounds like a good (and expensive  ;D) time. Are you working for Superior Dive Center now?
10-30-2007, 07:36 PM,
PRice is not as bad as you might think..for the class anyways...
The units themselves are a bit of a different story....but the inspiration is available remanufactured.....the Evo is not.....

But with a scrubber rated for 2 hours( VERY conservative rating more like 4+ hrs) and perfect ppo2 monitoring...kind of hard to deny its current and future impact on the sport....

might be a perfect for you in the future....or maybe  you will end up diving an "O"..idontknowhow much they cost..but it must be similar..    Evo's are 9500.00 same as inspirations..but they reman units are about 6000.00..plus class...

Yes..i am working with Jay
I hope you are well
Deano
10-30-2007, 07:53 PM,

They take all of the YBOD's that have been involved in accidents and resell them Wink  OK. not very constructive, but maybe sort of funny? 

Rebreathers are definitely cool...and expensive.  The "O", which I think stands for "Obscene Expensive", is getting pummeled in the price category with help from the weak dollar.  (Matt, I think that is the fault of the current administration :-*) 

Someday, when I win the lottery, I'll be able to spend $18,000 on a dive toy...

Dean, can you dive a breather with your bad back?

Don't forget there is a rebreather section of WIscuba.
10-30-2007, 10:11 PM,
I strapped a set of steel 100 on the back and slug an 80 during the pool session and performed valve, stage and finning drills for about an hour until i had to give up my fins to Richie as he forgot his full foot fins..i felt great..a have a couple of dives in and seem to be doing well..but this is my first with twins...I will have to buy another dry suit and figure to dive this winter some and then hit it hard in the spring...the Evo is quite a bit lighter than the twins...i saw the rebreather section just after posting, and am too stupid to figure out how to move the post..

I hope you are well..even though you guys havent keep me in tune to your recent diving escapades
10-31-2007, 03:53 AM,
I guess it never occured to me that would offer a class to anyone (without purchasing a unit). Will they have these rebreathers for rental? I am starting to come around (a little Wink) to the idea of a rebreather, but as Chris said, the price tags are killing me. We'll see what the future brings. Maybe someday my kids will be done with school and I can slip out of my wheelchair and into my rebreather  ;D.
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM,
Actually two of the guys that took the class did not buy the units..nor did they plan to at that time.  SDS shipped us two units that were rented for the class.  The students were able to keep them for a couple of days to do some diving here on the north shore.  They both plan to purchase in the near future.  At this time, i dont think we will see Jay rent out his unit.  I think it may be hard to pry his fingers from it and i am certain that he sleeps with it.  I dont know what the future will bring..i could certainly see a remanufactured unit for rent next year. we'll see. 
I will shoot the two of you an email in the near future regarding some Lake Superior Tech trips that we will be putting together( not Isle Royal) 240ft stuff. Also am planning on a trip or two to the "Mesquite" if you have interest in that one.  Mike and Underwater will be taking half of one of those trips.  He will also be looking to do the technical trip...We also have some things in the works for Isle Royal..

I hope you are well
Deano
Oh Yeah!!!!  BOOO
10-31-2007, 03:36 PM,
Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing details on the trips.
10-31-2007, 07:00 PM,

This statement above is dangerous. 
Scrubber duration is affected mainly by depth, temp, and workload.  Evolution is CE certified and should have ratings based on those test for different depths and a prudent diver should follow these recommendations.  Your life is not worth pushing $20 bucks worth of scrubber.
What people decide to do and for what reasons are their own choice. But a blanket statement like the above is not sound advice.
11-01-2007, 07:48 AM,
Greg-
I thank you for your input and monitoring.  Greg is correct, and the unit is in fact rated for 2 hrs.  What i should have said, is the scrubber is rated for 2 hrs, but i know of people that have been routinely diving them in excess of 4 hrs. Even though they arent rated as such.  I realize they are taking their life into their own hands and i am sure they do as well.  Incidently my statement was pointed more towards their impact on the future of diving and not so much on their current ratings.  They are in fact very impressive machines as i am sure you agree.