Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for a dive computer
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM,
Re: Looking for a dive computer
Either way, it's undecided at this point and I wouldn't throw out $1800 without something in writing.
02-07-2008, 07:13 PM,
I own both the Vyper and Vytec. The vyper is a rock solid for doing non-deco air and Nitorx dives.  I use the vyper in gauge mode as my backup for my deco dives.

For deco my primary computer I like the Vytec better because of the stop swatch feature in gauge mode.

In interface on both is easy to use and see.

02-07-2008, 08:00 PM,
Thanks for the direction on Suunto.  I would just be doing recreational diving and no nitrox yet, but planning on it.  My eyes are pretty good and I'd like the smaller watch style to wear while traveling, so I may not move to the Vytec or Vyper, but helpful.  Anyone use the Suunto digital compass on their new computers, I'm assuming it works on land too...
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM,
..I've been using a D9 for a couple years now....I've not had any problems with the compass..above or below the water line...with my 54 year old eyes - my only complaint is reading it can be an issue sometimes......the constant in and out of the water has undoubtedly shrunk all the numbers inside...... Wink
02-08-2008, 01:57 PM,
Any issues with the D9 transmitter and blips in service?  I'd be worried it would die on me underwater and I'd still need a pressure gauge for air levels?  Is that ever the case or anything like that ever happen to you?
02-08-2008, 02:06 PM,

I would expect them to be fairly reliable, but a $75 SPG is cheaper than the wireless senders, and if you are already concerned why would you spend $1000+ on an air integrated computer?  Get the D6 and keep your SPG.
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM,
...I've never had any problems with the transmitter...but...I have had a problem with the computer itself once - and that one time I was happy that [i]all [i]my dives are redundancy dives...spg & compass & depth gauge & pony..you need to make those choices that will allow your skill and confidence level define what type of diver you want to be....at depth is no time to wish you'd of done something different....
02-09-2008, 08:17 AM,
Thanks Chris H and dwitt2n!  Now, the question is where do I get it?  I've bought equipment from diveshops in Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Appleton, but what about the internet deals?  Leisure Pro has some good prices.  I've heard all the "buy local" talk and have adhered to it, but saving a couple hundred $$$ is a large chunk of change.  Any concerns with buying computers via the internet?

Thanks again for all the help!
02-09-2008, 10:59 AM,
....my feelings are your always farther ahead - money and otherwise - going with people you can look in the eye......think of it as an investment.... ...enjoy your diving career and be safe.... Smile
02-09-2008, 11:27 AM,
For the equipment that you are trusting your life with, I prefer to go to my trusted dive shop.  You can be sure that you have the service that you will need.  You pay more, but you can be sure you will get the results.

Doug