wiscuba.com
Looking for a dive computer - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Looking for a dive computer (/showthread.php?tid=1513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Looking for a dive computer - jmohns - 08-09-2007

Hello all,
      As usual I am asking the board for its opinion about my next purchase. I think I am ready to step up to a computer in the near term and know very little about them. This is starting to sound like my previous posts, sorry I will try to change it up some. I am really not sure of what I would like other than I would like the most bang for my buck. I currently am enrolled in OWA and would like a puter that will tell me deco info along with ascent rates. Nitrox is good as well and ease of operation. It also needs to be "Fireman Proof" in construction and will last a long time. User serviceable batt and computer interface would be nice as well. As usual, any and all assistance is welcome.
Thank you,
James

Re: Looking for a dive computer - Chris H - 08-09-2007

I have been using an Aladin TEC, and more recently, the Aladin TEC 2G.  The TEC was replaced under warranty by Uwatec.  I like it a lot, but I can't comment on the computer functions because I have only used them in gauge mode.  They are excellent in gauge mode with a built in stop watch, average depth, and no annoying beeping.  They have a user replaceable battery, and are downloadable via IrDA to Windoze, Mac, and PDA.    The windoze version of the software, called Smart Trak is pretty nice.  The Mac version, called J-Trak, is OK, but not as full featured as Smart Trak.  With Smart Trak, I have been able to download all of my dives from 1995 to present, and view them with the same software.

Re: Looking for a dive computer - Bigdiver - 08-09-2007

An excellent brand is Suunto.  They are simple to use, big numbers, full ascent rate info, deco info, download compatable, nitrox, air and gauge modes, depending on the model, they are reasonable in price....etc...

and most importantly their different models have lasted in our rental inventory for years, so they are tough!

Re: Looking for a dive computer - divemichigan - 08-09-2007

I've been using Sunnto's since 2001 both the vyper and vytec.

The Vytec does everything but tri-mix. It allow up to 3 mixes, deep stops, and stop watch in gauge mode.  The built in stop watch or gas switching are nice, if you ever plan on getting in to deco diving.

The Vyper does Air, Nitrox (one mix), and gauge mode (no stop watch). I changed the batt once after about 5 years and 200 dives on it.

Re: Looking for a dive computer - dfreeman - 08-09-2007

I have had good luck with UWATEC Smart Com (canoe paddle)  I like the Smart Trak and the ability to change configuration.  There are a lot of good computers out there.  Good luck on your search.

Doug

Re: Looking for a dive computer - Colin - 08-09-2007

And don't forget the new Suunto Cobra 2 and Vyper 2 have matrix displays which are much easier to read under water, as well as digital compasses built in. I currently dive a Suunto D9 when traveling, and really like the compass feature and the matrix displays. The other neat thing about matrix displays is that you can actually see the dive profile when you surface and put the computer into dive log mode.

Re: Looking for a dive computer - matt t. - 08-09-2007

I would stay away from "air integrated" computers (hosed AND hoseless), and don't buy a Cochran (junk). As mentioned, Uwatec and Suunto are probably the most popular in this area, and Oceanic makes some nice ones as well. I'm not clear if you are looking for a computer that will do planned deco dives, or a recreational computer that will get you out of trouble if you overstay your NDL. Any of the computers out there today will guide you if you stay past the NDL. You'll definitely want one with user replaceable batteries. I've had 3 Uwatec computers and 1 Suunto. I'd own any of them again, as they were ALL good. Uwatec (Scubapro) has excellent customer service if needed. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Re: Looking for a dive computer - josh b. - 08-09-2007

I really like Suuntos for recreation.  However, the new Cobra 2 has the RGBM model algorithm and can do a gas switch for decompression.  If you like doin air/nitrox dives, then that probably wouldn't be a bad computer to go with. Smile

Re: Looking for a dive computer - Dewit2it - 08-10-2007

I have the Oceanic Pro+ II.  The features are nice, but when it comes to dealing with trying to get everything into a paper logbook, it totally sucks.  You really need a computer to download it.  A lot of times I wish they still had the old Datamax analog depth gauge/digital bottom timer.

Re: Looking for a dive computer - schultz - 08-10-2007

I've used a Uwatec Aladin Pro and Oceanic Versa Pro for years. Both are easy to use, but the downside to my particular Uwatec is that it does not have user changeable batteries nor gauge mode. The newer models do. I would recommend getting a computer that is flexible. That is to say a computer that will grow with you as you develop your diving experience and training. If you're not planning any additional training beyond AOW and perhaps nitrox, a simple computer that supports nitrox is all you need. If you plan on training beyond that, you might want a more powerful computer. Useful things to look for would be nitrox settings where you can adjust the ppO2 alarms, pre-dive planning, gauge only modes, logs, ascent rate alarms, and deco modes.

I would research the models out there using tools like scubadiving.com and divernet.com as resources. They always have equipment reviews. And when you start zeroing in on a model you like, go to the manufacturers website, download the manual and read it before buying.

That being said, I plan on buying a new computer next year. All indicators are pointing to a VR3 unless something else comes along. I've used them for about 12 dives now, and the more I use it, the more I like it for its flexibility, multiple gas modes, and the ease of changing its settings. 

The overall thing to remember is that the computer is a tool, and an electronic tool at that. When electronics and water are combined, Murphy's law tends to prevail. Computers can and will stop functioning during a dive (cracked case, dead battery, you name it I've seen it), so it is important to not rely totally on the computer. Have a dive plan and build redundancy into your dive plan by bringing another depth gauge and timing device. Sometimes that is as simple as using the gauges you may have on your regulator console and a waterproof watch with some dive tables.

Good luck with your purchase, and let us know what you find!