Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for a dive computer
12-06-2007, 08:19 AM,
Re: Looking for a dive computer
I also have used the EMC-20H for 2 years now and been very happy with it. My only complaint is the fact that you cannot reprogram it in the water if needed. Otherwise, it has been bullet proof.
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM,

Doug,
I assume you can adjust the settings to me more or less conservative.  When we did that dive on the Vernon, what setting did you use on your EMC-20H?
Just curious,
Chris
12-07-2007, 10:35 AM,

Doug,
I assume you can adjust the settings to me more or less conservative.  When we did that dive on the Vernon, what setting did you use on your EMC-20H?
Just curious,
Chris
Quote:

Hi Chris,
yes you can adjust the conservatisim, and at that time I had it adjusted to be as similiar to the Nautilus tables as possible. Since I've been using the RGBM tables, I rarely dive the computer and only use it as a backup (half the time I really don't even need it at all since I've been carrying two bottom timers). I think I throw it on out of habit Smile
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM,

Are you using the "0" settings in GAP, or have you gone to "-1" settings?   I think I'd be scared to use "-1" Smile  Whichever settings you use, how do you find the run time compares to your computer?
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM,

Are you using the "0" settings in GAP, or have you gone to "-1" settings?   I think I'd be scared to use "-1" Smile   Whichever settings you use, how do you find the run time compares to your computer?
[/quote]

Actually, I've been using +1 and it still gets me out of the water faster than Nautilus. To be honest, I primarily used the Nautilus tables and only occasionaly would dive the computer on shallower stuff (100 to 130 or so). I wanted to get comfortable with the RGBM so this summer it's all been +1. As long as I'm not cold I don't mind spending a few more minutes in the water. Maybe this spring when there is little or no thermocline I might rethink that. On the Vernon I used the Nautilus tables. The Empress of Ireland dives were all on the computer (120 ish).
02-05-2008, 11:01 PM,
I've been diving for about 6 years (AOW) and I've never used a computer.  My depth gauge broke last dive and I'm looking for recommendations on a watch-style dive computer.  I'm thinking about the Aeris Epic, Oceanic Atom 2, Suunto D6, etc.  Some of these are hoseless air-integrated. 

Any major pros and cons to the watch style? 
Also, looking for advice on hoseless air-integrated? 
And has anyone used Suunto's new digital compass on their new computers...does it really work?

Thanks
02-06-2008, 08:08 AM,

I think that a few of the pros could also be cons.  The watch style could be nice if you are looking for a watch, but could be an issue if you have a difficult time seeing small numbers while diving.  I have used a D6 on a couple dives in gauge mode.  It was nice, but quite expensive as a bottom timer like I was using it.  I would personally stay away from air integration.  I would buy Suunto or Uwatec if I were looking to buy a recreational computer.  For a tech computer, the new Liquivision X1 gets the coolness factor award.
02-06-2008, 09:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2008, 09:14 AM by matt t..)

I think that a few of the pros could also be cons.  The watch style could be nice if you are looking for a watch, but could be an issue if you have a difficult time seeing small numbers while diving.   I have used a D6 on a couple dives in gauge mode.   It was nice, but quite expensive as a bottom timer like I was using it.   I would personally stay away from air integration.   I would buy Suunto or Uwatec if I were looking to buy a recreational computer.   For a tech computer, the new Liquivision X1 gets the coolness factor award.
[/quote]
I would agree with everything Chris said except to add that the batteries in the new Liquivision are not replaceable (ever), they are rechargeable. When eventually they stop holding a charge you can throw your computer in the trash.
You definitely want something with a user replaceable battery. Buy a Suunto Vyper or Vytec, or Uwatec Tec 2G and don't look back.
02-07-2008, 12:15 PM,
I'll second the Suunto Vyper.  It's a very solid computer and would be part of your kit no matter what type of diving you plan to do.
--Jason
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM,
The developers of the Liquivision stated on another board they are considering offering a battery replacement service.  Here is a copy of the post:

To set the record straight about the X1 battery warranty, some people are wondering why it is taking so long to 'update.'

The fact is that rather than offer an extended battery warranty, we would rather offer a battery change service, so you can just have the rechargeable battery changed if needed.

Whether we offer an extended battery warranty, or a battery change service, depends on how well we can fine tune the battery change procedure. As the battery change procedure is rather complicated, we need to finish some tests & experiments prior to deciding which way to go.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products